New Hampshire!

They pecked a little bit to see what it was or when they're bored, but just enough to prick the surface and not enough to rip it down or put holes in it. I have some humidity issues because my coop is on the small size for the number of birds I have but that's independent of any insulation. It seems like we've been very damp and dank this late fall/early winter and I get spikes, but not higher than outside levels. As a bonus, it's cheap and it staples up pretty easy. I also use it to cover any vents I don't want open for the really cold nights. I also have the north and west sides of the coop and run wrapped in construction plastic which seems to at least keep the whole area relatively still - in the desired way. At the very least it makes me feel like I did something for them since it's otherwise uninsulated and made out of OSB. Last night's low here was 4 and the coop touched 12. Let me know if you have success with it or any other ideas for it... I'd love to be one of the people with the coop that hardly ever goes below freezing, but it's tricky when you're trying to keep things open enough to be dry. I might try one of those fresh air coops if I get another batch of chicks in the next year or two.

So I picked some of the Reflextix stuff at Home Depot on the way home from work. It was super simple to put up, just cut out a few pieces to fit the inner walls and stapled it in, took maybe 10 minutes? I didn't fully insulate, just did the two walls abutting the roost and one of the walls alongside my door where I could see some of the caulk between two boards had split a little allowing for a draft that was roost-level.

Anyway, these chickens are just a constant source of laughs to me- they were very skeptical of the new wall covering. Usually they all fight with each other to get the coveted spots closest to the wall- tonight, they all fought to stay away from the wall and get the spot dead center on the roost. I'm sure they'll eventually get used to it :)

We'll see if it helps at all. When I closed the door to the coop, the temp was 18.3*F with 50% humidity in the coop, and 14*F with 71% humidity outside. I'm most worried about tomorrow night, when it's supposed to go down to -10*F, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Due to a layoff in my household its come to the point we now need to downsize the amount of animals we have and unfortunately we need to sell off our entire flock of Bourbon Red turkeys.

If there is anyone here on BYC interested in them and are in the New Hampshire area you are welcome to send me a PM for more information or pictures etc. Also my flocks are NH NPIP Certified.

So I picked some of the Reflextix stuff at Home Depot on the way home from work. It was super simple to put up, just cut out a few pieces to fit the inner walls and stapled it in, took maybe 10 minutes? I didn't fully insulate, just did the two walls abutting the roost and one of the walls alongside my door where I could see some of the caulk between two boards had split a little allowing for a draft that was roost-level.

Anyway, these chickens are just a constant source of laughs to me- they were very skeptical of the new wall covering. Usually they all fight with each other to get the coveted spots closest to the wall- tonight, they all fought to stay away from the wall and get the spot dead center on the roost. I'm sure they'll eventually get used to it :)

We'll see if it helps at all. When I closed the door to the coop, the temp was 18.3*F with 50% humidity in the coop, and 14*F with 71% humidity outside. I'm most worried about tomorrow night, when it's supposed to go down to -10*F, but we'll see.

Yeah I don't have 100% coverage either and they looked like they walked into a funhouse the first day I put it up, but they adjusted. It's great that it just fits the walls perfect. I was a touch surprised how cold it was last night since I had thought tonight was the only below zero night. I left open a window I had intended to shut, but they all survived. It got to -3° outside and the coop didn't go below 7°. Even though everyone tells you they will be I'm shocked at just how hardy they are. They come piling out the door outside without fail every morning and I already had 3 eggs in the box. My humidity is another story. The outside humidity is always 80 to 90% by the middle of the night anyway and I definitely don't go higher or even as high as that, but I wish I could keep mine below 70% at least. I guess I have to re-examine my ventilation this spring. I'm definitely anxious to see about tonight because even my 10 degrees of heat retention won't keep it above zero IN the coop, but I guess zero is no magic number to them. If they were warm enough at 7, then why not a couple of notches colder?

I totally know what you're saying about tonight, @mattsanity . I just shut them up in the coop, and it was only 16.5* in there, and barely 5pm. Our area is supposed to go down to -11*F tonight. There were a couple of nights last year when it got that cold in our part of the state, but it's rare. Still, from reading more of the cold weather posts on this site, I read that some folks up in Alaska or the upper midwest consistently have temps in the -20* to 0* range, and their flocks are fine. Even still, I'm sure I'm going to worry about my girls all night long. Sending warm wishes to you and your flock! Looks like the weekend is going to get closer to 30*, it will feel like a heat wave!

I guess I shouldn't worry, since these girls are fine every day but I catch myself counting them up as they pour out of the coop: "Four BRs, there's my Aussies, 2 EEs and the Brahmas, wait where's - oh there's the Wyandotte. Phew!" But still they coming rambling out at full speed, even at -10° when I released them this AM. We got down to -11° but the coop didn't go below 1° which at least felt psychologically better to me. Once the sun came up I had an almost 20° spread between inside and out which I've never seen. Anyway, why did I even worry. Hope your ladies are faring as well as mine @deacons . I'm sure we'll all be basking in those mid to upper 20s we'll get tomorrow!

@mattsanity -you're doing better on heat retention than me! Was -8*F outside when I opened the coop, and the coop temp was -1.5*F. I was hoping they would be above 0, which as you say, was sort of a psychological marker for me too. But, they didn't seem too bothered, all 8 came bounding out, there was actually an egg waiting in the nest box. I see some signs off frostbite on the wattle of at least one, but it seems relatively mild- it looks whitish, but not black, which I had problems with last winter. I got two more eggs so far today, so I guess they're not that stressed if they're still laying. I am so ready for some warmer days.

No frostbite problems in my coop yet this year. *knocks on wood*. I think my rooster built up some tolerance after last winter. He won't let me near him, so I can really help much. :(

This is Drop, our Imported English Orpington born last spring in Wolfeboro. Turns out SHE is a HE, I saw him crowing under our deck today!!!!!

I can't keep any roosters, so if anyone is looking for a free rooster, please come pick him up. I'm in Brentwood!

Thanks,
Lenore

It's only 10 degrees out, but everyone was pretty desperate for a dustbath:
0.jpg

The Golden Comets do have a little frostbite on their combs. This is their second winter- last winter, they lost a lot of comb tips to frostbite. I love these two individuals, but I don't think I will have this breed here again. I think I'll probably only add breeds with rose combs in the future, must less worry in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom