New Hampshire!

That's what I have are the ornamentals.Just hoping to find someone near that might raise them also.
In N.H.,Tony.

I hope you can find someone interested in breeding them instead of Eating Them!! Their so pretty I wish that I could help! But I have girls that grow old here before I put them in the freezer! Some people just don't care and think of their stomach's 1st! Best of Luck!

These birds would never be food.They get a little too pricey to eat.I have good luck breeding and I have plenty for sale right now.I was just hoping to find someone that I don't know that raises them.
In N.H.,Tony.

What are folks with unheated coops doing later this week when lows are going down to -10*F? I usually feel fine about my girls toughing it out, by -10 seems really brutal. I don't have the option of heat, but am wondering if there's anything I could do to provide some additional insulation? Blankets, etc. tacked up along the walls and ceilings? Or is that pretty useless?

I'm pretty new to it myself, but I've got the mylar-coated bubble wrap insulation tacked up inside and it's not a huge difference but it gives me 5-10 degrees warmer which I've heard should be plenty if the air in the coop isn't too drafty. I'm expecting frostbite on the BRs and the Aussies, though. There's only so much you can do at those temps.

i have been feeding whole corn so they can put on a nice layer of fat

for the cold winter nights

I'm pretty new to it myself, but I've got the mylar-coated bubble wrap insulation tacked up inside and it's not a huge difference but it gives me 5-10 degrees warmer which I've heard should be plenty if the air in the coop isn't too drafty. I'm expecting frostbite on the BRs and the Aussies, though. There's only so much you can do at those temps.

Hey, 5-10* is nothing to sneeze at if it gets us above 0*F! I think I'm going to try this. Any problems with it increasing humidity? Or birds picking at it?

I think my ventilation is good overall- I monitor humidity and so far (fingers crossed) have never gone above 70% even when it's boggy and raining outside. With it being this cold and dry, humidity is in the 45% range right now.

Hey, 5-10* is nothing to sneeze at if it gets us above 0*F! I think I'm going to try this. Any problems with it increasing humidity? Or birds picking at it?

I think my ventilation is good overall- I monitor humidity and so far (fingers crossed) have never gone above 70% even when it's boggy and raining outside. With it being this cold and dry, humidity is in the 45% range right now.

They pecked a little bit to see what it was or when they're bored, but just enough to prick the surface and not enough to rip it down or put holes in it. I have some humidity issues because my coop is on the small size for the number of birds I have but that's independent of any insulation. It seems like we've been very damp and dank this late fall/early winter and I get spikes, but not higher than outside levels. As a bonus, it's cheap and it staples up pretty easy. I also use it to cover any vents I don't want open for the really cold nights. I also have the north and west sides of the coop and run wrapped in construction plastic which seems to at least keep the whole area relatively still - in the desired way. At the very least it makes me feel like I did something for them since it's otherwise uninsulated and made out of OSB. Last night's low here was 4 and the coop touched 12. Let me know if you have success with it or any other ideas for it... I'd love to be one of the people with the coop that hardly ever goes below freezing, but it's tricky when you're trying to keep things open enough to be dry. I might try one of those fresh air coops if I get another batch of chicks in the next year or two.

Back
Top Bottom