New Hampshire!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sandbellie, Jun 11, 2010.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    What breed is he? Have you tried listing him for free on Craigslist or here on BYC? You could always send him to the freezer I hear a slow cooked crock pot rooster stew is delicious.

Is it possible to put together a temperary seperate bachelor pen to put your extra roos in?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. AVintageLife

AVintageLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    New Hampshire
    My daughter and I will be looking for a few silkie chicks at the end of April. We live in New Boston. If anyone will have some around that time, let me know.

3. kelly77

kelly77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    My roos went today to the auction guy, I went to the swap but I didn't know they needed to be state tested first and well hubby didn't want to bring them back home. I really hope someone will buy them and they will have a chance. They were the prettiest out of everyones and I am not saying that just because they were mine. So many people's birds seemed sickly...I have been crying all day just thinking about their fate. I love all my birds and wanted the best for them, felt as if I didn't have a choice

4. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Hi there, neighbors!

I live in Derry. We are finishing the conversion from play house to chicken coop this Saturday - we are new to keeping chickens. The coop will hold 8 birds comfortably, and we have loosely fenced a run area for them, but expect they will free-range as well - the fenced area is mainly to keep my kids and dog out of the chicken yard.

We are planning to attend the Chicken Swap at the Winnisquam Agway on Sunday, hopefully coming home with a couple of layers. Anyone have opinions about these swaps? I've heard polarized reviews - one person told me it's the best place to go for a sick or mean bird, others say it's great if you're not looking for something in particular. Right now, I just want something that's going to put nice fresh eggs on my plate!

Any information or advice is appreciated.

5. lilyphoenix

lilyphoenix Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    NH
    Besides the chicken swap, what are good places to buy/order chickens in NH. Specifically, the Nashua/Amherst/Milford area.

6. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    What breeds are you looking for??

7. angelobutter

angelobutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    Cornish NH
    i have only been to one swap- it was cool but not worth the 2 hour drive lol. i mean i was looking for unique breeds so that might have been part of it but if you are looking for just good layers I would say it is a good place to get some. Other than that i would stick to local people who have chicks for sale. you might not get chicks that are NPIP tested but if that doesn't bother you then it is an option. for example I will have a ton of chicks available in the next few weeks, not NPIP but healthy anyways, and I know a lot of people on craigslist have everything from chicks to adult hens so it can be worth looking there too.

8. elmtree

elmtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Derry,NH
    I
    I'm in Derry too!! Just got 23 chicks February 14. They are my first.

1 person likes this.
  9. aceschix

aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I would also post here what you are looking for. there are many really great breeders in our State and in New England. You just need to network to find them.

A lot of us do not go to swaps or only take extras to the swaps when we have them.

10. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Thank you all for the responses! My husband is the one who has done the breed research, and would prefer Buff Orpington, but we're not going to be terribly picky right now. I have been watching CL for hens, but they seem to go fast, and where we didn't have the coop ready, we missed out. And of course now that we're ready, I'm not finding anything except for a couple of large flocks that come with a roo. We know from experience that our neighbors won't tolerate roo-racket at sunrise - when we first moved in, our next door neighbors had a small flock and one roo, and you would have though this boy was crawling into bed with people and shaking them awake with the level of complaining. It became so stressful for them that they let the whole flock go, just to keep peace.

Anyway - I appreciate the input. We are going to get some chicks - I'm just a bit of an instant gratification girl, and wanted to have some reward right away! So if anyone has a couple of healthy, productive ladies they are willing to part with, let me know - we are willing to drive about an hour or so from Manchester, and will bring cash.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by