New Hatch

Can you drop your humidity a bit? If not, putting paper towels over the grate will help cut it down, some. Your temp really should be higher for a new hatchling. Did it drop because you opened the incubator or did it fall on its own? If the temp continues to drop, I'd move junior to the brooder, just make sure there are no drafts and the temp is stabilized at 99-100 F.
The only thing I can do is take chick out and drain the water which will eventually drop the humidity down to 40% and because of this epidemic we are all out of paper towel i just have dish towels and toilet paper. No it dropped on its own when I put water in to raise humidity 3 days ago I was worried he or she might not hatch. Here is what I have set up but we are inside with ac on because of the heat.

Attachments

• 20200710_140836.jpg
    20200710_140836.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 1
The only thing I can do is take chick out and drain the water which will eventually drop the humidity down to 40% and because of this epidemic we are all out of paper towel i just have dish towels and toilet paper. No it dropped on its own when I put water in to raise humidity 3 days ago I was worried he or she might not hatch. Here is what I have set up but we are inside with ac on because of the heat.
How about a napkin? Or a piece of construction paper (newsprint is too shiny/slippery) You could also use a piece of fabric - think bandanna or handkerchief. All you really need is something to let the baby's feet grip, so it can balance without having its feet splay out underneath it.
And yup, I hear you about the PT shortage! I was lucky enough to have already made my Spring stock-up run before the pandemic really hit us. We're only just now staring to think about stcocking up again. That's not epidemic planning - that simply comes from being raised Italian ... Mama ALWAYS kept an over-stocked pantry with extra paper products on-hand. What Nona would have had to say to the cousins who got caught without enough TP or canned goods would not be fit for human ears ... and probably would not translate properly into English AT ALL! :oops:

How about a napkin? Or a piece of construction paper (newsprint is too shiny/slippery) You could also use a piece of fabric - think bandanna or handkerchief. All you really need is something to let the baby's feet grip, so it can balance without having its feet splay out underneath it.
And yup, I hear you about the PT shortage! I was lucky enough to have already made my Spring stock-up run before the pandemic really hit us. We're only just now staring to think about stcocking up again. That's not epidemic planning - that simply comes from being raised Italian ... Mama ALWAYS kept an over-stocked pantry with extra paper products on-hand. What Nona would have had to say to the cousins who got caught without enough TP or canned goods would not be fit for human ears ... and probably would not translate properly into English AT ALL! :oops:
I do have a handkerchief i can put in there he's walking around fine coming up to

Straw isn't a good idea for little babies. It won't be able to move around in it. For the first few days, you can leave just a piece of cloth in the bottom, at least until the little one can move well enough to get to food and water. If straw is all you have, chop it up REALLY small - like inch-long pieces. You can also use pine shavings. Cedar - like you use for hamsters is toxic.
Oh - and I just had another thought. Do you have a corrugated cardboard box you can peel apart? If you peel it down so the ridges are exposed, you have an instant, disposable floor. Puppy pee pads work really well, too, if you have them.

card temp.jpg

Straw isn't a good idea for little babies. It won't be able to move around in it. For the first few days, you can leave just a piece of cloth in the bottom, at least until the little one can move well enough to get to food and water. If straw is all you have, chop it up REALLY small - like inch-long pieces. You can also use pine shavings. Cedar - like you use for hamsters is toxic.
Oh - and I just had another thought. Do you have a corrugated cardboard box you can peel apart? If you peel it down so the ridges are exposed, you have an instant, disposable floor. Puppy pee pads work really well, too, if you have them.

View attachment 2237078
Yep got a pee pad in there now.

View attachment 2237078
Also can I put one of the chicks i just bought in there to keep it company?

Also can I put one of the chicks i just bought in there to keep it company?
If they are the same size and very close in age, you should be fine, but wait until the new baby is active - eating, drinking and moving around - and do it when you can watch to make sure the older chick isn't picking at it. Make sure there are a couple of hiding places, too, so the babies can get out of each other's line of sight if needed. I like to put a small box in the brooder - like a tissue box-size. I cut openings in either end or in a side and an end, so they can go in and out at will. It not only gives them a place to hide from the heat (or an aggressive buddy,) but as they grow, they like to play "King-of-the-Mountain." It's highly entertaining to watch!

Back
Top Bottom