New Hatch

Zizix123

Chirping
Jun 18, 2018
I was only able to hatch one egg out of 12 so the little one is in the incubator alone. My question is do I need to take the grate out because the litter one is hitting its head on the top of the incubator? And the I have an HDD 12 egg incubator so the humidity was at 75% when it hatched? Or do I take little one out and put under lamp to dry? There is also gaps on the sides which make me nervous.

Attachments

• 20200710_131816.jpg
    20200710_131816.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 15944020239444559489857141422337.jpg
    15944020239444559489857141422337.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 7
Since there are no more eggs to hatch, yes, the chick can be put under the heat lamp, but it is important to wait until the chick is strong enough to get away from too hot and to be able to move to where it's the right temperature.

Since there are no more eggs to hatch, yes, the chick can be put under the heat lamp, but it is important to wait until the chick is strong enough to get away from too hot and to be able to move to where it's the right temperature.

How will I know little ones strong enough? Right now it gets up for a second hobbles and falls around then rest for a couple seconds and repeat.

You'll know! It'll be totally dry, sitting up and likely complaining about being alone. When you do put the baby in the brooder, give it little stuffed animal (Beanie Baby sized) or a large pompom to snuggle. It won't feel so lonesome with a "friend."
It's cutie! What breed is it?
[/QUOTE

Its a cornish rock my hens this year I guess decided to go on strike because none would brood so its my first with an incubator. I bought 9 cornish rock chicks in the chick house outside thinking I might not get any hatches so he or she won't be alone too long. When you say dry it needs to be fluffy or heres a pic of it now?

Attachments

• 15944054855616802789817423886070.jpg
    15944054855616802789817423886070.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 5
Should I take the
That's one tired tiny! Hatching is exhausting! I'd leave it in a bit longer to give it a chance to rest and dry fully. They can go 24 hours before they need to eat or drink, so you don't need to rush. You may want to lay a paper towel along the bottom of the 'bator to give the little one some purchase and help it move around. Don't use a terry cloth one (like a washcloth) as it will snag tiny toenails. A generic paper towel is fine.
Once the baby perks up, you can give it some electrolytes as a boost. If you don't have NutriDrench (or something like it) a couple of drops of diluted PediaLyte or Gatorade work, too. Be sure to just lay it along the beak, not inside the mouth, otherwise you could drown the poor baby!
Should I take the grate thing out? The humidity is still at 75% so will that have an affect on the little one? I have the hydro powder I am just worried about it being so wet and humid and my temp dropped to 96 so I'm hoping nothings wrong with the incubator I just bought i have it as much as I can which is 37.7.

Straw isn't a good idea for little babies. It won't be able to move around in it. For the first few days, you can leave just a piece of cloth in the bottom, at least until the little one can move well enough to get to food and water. If straw is all you have, chop it up REALLY small - like inch-long pieces. You can also use pine shavings. Cedar - like you use for hamsters is toxic.
Oh - and I just had another thought. Do you have a corrugated cardboard box you can peel apart? If you peel it down so the ridges are exposed, you have an instant, disposable floor. Puppy pee pads work really well, too, if you have them.

View attachment 2237078
Yep got a pee pad in there now.

Straw isn't a good idea for little babies. It won't be able to move around in it. For the first few days, you can leave just a piece of cloth in the bottom, at least until the little one can move well enough to get to food and water. If straw is all you have, chop it up REALLY small - like inch-long pieces. You can also use pine shavings. Cedar - like you use for hamsters is toxic.
Oh - and I just had another thought. Do you have a corrugated cardboard box you can peel apart? If you peel it down so the ridges are exposed, you have an instant, disposable floor. Puppy pee pads work really well, too, if you have them.

View attachment 2237078
Also can I put one of the chicks i just bought in there to keep it company?

Also can I put one of the chicks i just bought in there to keep it company?
If they are the same size and very close in age, you should be fine, but wait until the new baby is active - eating, drinking and moving around - and do it when you can watch to make sure the older chick isn't picking at it. Make sure there are a couple of hiding places, too, so the babies can get out of each other's line of sight if needed. I like to put a small box in the brooder - like a tissue box-size. I cut openings in either end or in a side and an end, so they can go in and out at will. It not only gives them a place to hide from the heat (or an aggressive buddy,) but as they grow, they like to play "King-of-the-Mountain." It's highly entertaining to watch!

You'll know! It'll be totally dry, sitting up and likely complaining about being alone. When you do put the baby in the brooder, give it little stuffed animal (Beanie Baby sized) or a large pompom to snuggle. It won't feel so lonesome with a "friend."
It's cutie! What breed is it?

Back
Top Bottom