New Hatchling Still Has Yolk Sac Hanging Out

AngRCoop2304

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 30, 2014
So one of our chicks that hatched this morning is still walking around the incubator with the yolk sac still hanging out. It has started to harden for the most part, but is still very much attached to the inside. I have NO CLUE what to do. It's been on there for almost 12 hours now. On a positive note, this is our first hatch, and so far 28 out of about 40 have hatched. And more are piping. :)

Anybody?? I'm afraid infection might set in at the opening, or another chick might pull out the rest of the yolk sac. Help this newbie out, please. :)

Are you certain it is yolk (yellow with blood vessels) or the sac that wastes store in while the chick develops?

The yolk is more critical, as it is usually absorbed before hatch is complete, and because it is covered with blood vessels, which, if broken, can bleed the chick out quickly.

If you can separate the chick with a mesh wall from its companions and not cause it to stress out and run around, then please do so until the protrusion has healed. A small stuffed animal with the lone chick may help keep it calm.

Good luck, and post pics if you can!

Last edited:
I'll try to get pics in a bit. OK, so its not the yolk sac, but what you said, the waste sac. Its coming from the opening below the vent. It's super hard, and brown. The other chicks aren't showing any interest in it,so that's good.

Be sure not to pull on it, or let other chicks pull on it, or the intestines will come out. I had that happen with a poult last year and I had to euthanize immediately.

Oh I pray that doesn't happen. Sorry the pics aren't the best. She wasn't too happy to be held down. And I've wiped the poop from her vent area. :)

That is a lot. Was it an assisted hatch? My poult's was just a small thread, but it was enough to keep the abdominal wall from closing. Once it is completely dry, it can be snipped off close to the abdominal wall to prevent snagging/biting. It may be absorbed as the chick grows. They have amazing healing abilities.

No, she hatched in the middle of the night. She was born 1 1/2 days ago, and she's still in the bator because I thought that would help dry it out. I'll get her out in a bit to check on it. Thanks for all the advice! This newbie appreciates it!

Back
Top Bottom