New hatchling

leah_c

Songster
9 Years
May 13, 2010
Wisconsin
So, I haven't been on here in a while. I have a momma hen that has been diligently sitting on 9 eggs under a lawn mower in our yard. Outside by herself and has hatched out one of her 9. AND, they made it through the night. My question is this, do I make something for her and the baby(s), and mover her entire nest, or do I leave them alone? By the way, there are mites EVERYWHERE in the grass surrounding her. Input PLEASE, and fairly fast. Thanks!!!

DH went and pulled the baby out. She has two more poking thru the eggs. Baby is currently in the house with lamp on it. Silly question.... what's DE? And should I put something in with the new baby to keep it company? Will mom have anything to do with it later?

Diatomaceous Earth is DE, you can get it at tractor supply. I would just keep the baby by its self until more hatch. I do not understand your last question. Are you putting the chicks back with mom once they hatch or are you talking about when the babies grow up?

While the baby is in the house, should I put something in with it, i.e stuffed animal, etc. Will she take the chick back if we leave it in the house? She also has mites and trying to figure out what the heck to do.

If your hen still had chicks when you introduced the chick at night then she will probably take it back. If you want you could put a stuffed animal in with the chick but I wouldn't. I would clean out your whole coop and dust with the DE to get rid of the mites also dust your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom