New Hen Behavior (?)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FallFlightFarm, Mar 13, 2011.

1. FallFlightFarm

FallFlightFarm In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    I just acquired 2 Colombian Wyandotte hens-both came from the same place. I have them quarantined in my garage right now, and one of them has hunkered down in the shavings, with her head tucked under herself. I have seen the other hen peck at her a time or two. Is she just trying to hide? The other thing I saw her do is when she was walking around, she will pick up bits of hay or shavings and put them on her back. They are in a fairly large kiddie pool with a fenced enclosure around it-they certainly aren't crowded. How long should I keep them away from my flock? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? [​IMG]

Thanks!

-Andrea

2. taprock

taprock Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    Northern L.P. Michigan
    Is she trying to do the dust bath thing? I walked in my coop a while ago and thought one of my hens was dead - she was laying on her side in the shavings. It turned out she was trying to take a dust bath.

I was told to quarantine for a month... I didn't do it. I would think the longer you can the better. I didn't have the space available for that long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: