New hen is kinda underweight, what can I feed her?

I suggest that you de-worm. Just in case.

The very best way to put weigh on livestock is to feed them the right amount for the weight that you want them to be and to let them gradually get up to that weight.

If you feed a lot of high calorie food, the hen will put on fat, which isn't all that good for her. You want her to build her muscle mass back up and then a small layer of fat. That means a good balanced diet and enough of it and her weight will come up to where it should be.

I got cottage cheese today that I'm gonna give the chickens when it isn't so hot outside. We have the coop next to the trees we have in the backyard, so they have plenty of shade, plus I add ice to their waterer to help them cool down. I need to find a place or a site where I can buy mealworms and crickets cheap, meanwhile, can I also give the chickens some ground beef meat and chunks of chicken for the extra protein, along with tuna?

I had a recent experience with weight loss and watery poops in one of my birds and it turned out she had coccidiosis and e coli. Keep an eye on your PRB for weight loss or decline in sociable behavior or any lethargy. She could be sick. Deworming sounds like a god idea to me and keep a close eye on her poop. You may try weighing her on a regular basis to be sure of any weight loss. I discovered our little feathered friends can hide their weight loss easily because of all those lovely feathers. I also keep an eye on their combs and waddles....shrivled=dehydration.

I'm trying to get weight back on my little black star and I was recommended to try game bird feed...like for pheasants and quails. Also I've been giving her buttermilk as it has a higher fat content and also beneficial probiotics. This will really be helpful to you if you end up worming or using an antibiotic as it will help reestablish normal flora. best of luck.....i've really learned from my situation that prevention and early treatment is WAY easier and much less expensive than trying to get them back once they're sick
cool.png
D.gif
hide.gif

Well Spaghetti hasn't gained any weight yet. She has a nasty wound on her side that is all scabbed now, I keep her separate from the rooster to avoid him re-opening the wound when he tries to mount her, and Spaghetti does eat and he wound is healing nicely, but she drinks A LOT of water. I gave my whole flock a dewormer last week, and I'm going to repeat the dosis this Sunday.

She also tends to lie down more than the other chickens, but she isn't all fluffed up or just standing in one place, she does move around to forage with the others, but just not as much. She is I think abut a year old, and I'm not sure why she is losing weight
sad.png
. I keep giving her extra food like cheese and veggies, and also mealworms whenever the feed store has them, and she eats everything. I'm at a loss as to why she hasn't gained her weight back
sad.png

I would suggest at this point perhaps an avian vet would be in order if you want to go that far. You may need to call around a lot to find one that takes chickens.
I am sorry she is doing poorly.

Back
Top Bottom