New Hen Respiratory Infection?

caf.gif
me too

We took the hen and cock together to an avian vet (Dr. Dematos) at Cornell. He highly suspects mycoplasma. He cleaned out her nostrils and removed all of the dead tissue. Apparently, the bacteria had started to eat away her tissue. The nostril that the bacteria ate away at has a larger hole than the other and always will. He advised us to wear a tyvek suit when dealing with them at this time, in order to avoid contaminating our other flock, or at the very least change clothes and shoes and wash with antiseptic wash. The Dr. took blood and a swab of the nostril to culture the bacteria. He gave us medication to treat her. Here is what we have to give and do:

Tylosin soluble powder: Mix 1gram with 1/2 Liter of water; use as only source of water; provide for 7 days, change daily
Trimethoprim/Sulfamethon: 0.5ml orally twice daily for 15 days
Triple Antibiotic(Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Gramicidin Opthalmic Solution USP: Administer 1 drop into each nostril 3 times daily until resolved.

And her curled up foot( I failed to mention before) is a Riboflavin deficiency, it could improve but not likely as it probably happened when she was younger.

We have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks. He is going to call us about the blood work and the cultures as soon as he knows anything.

So that is where we are at right now. Victoria(we named her that because it looked like a bra on her beak) is doing well otherwise. She is eating, drinking and acting like a normal chicken. The rooster is showing no signs of anything and is acting totally normal, except crowing at 2:30 a.m.! LOL

I hope that our experience will help others. I will update with any developments as they happen. Thanks so much for showing concern.

Last edited:
So, We FINALLY got the mycoplasma culture results. She has tested positive for Mycoplasma gallisepticum. We are taking her back to Cornell on Monday for a follow up and to ask the doctor what he recommends we do. It seems some people say cull the birds, others say treat them and once they are better it won't rear it's head again. We are really torn on what to do. Some people act like it's not a big deal and we were even told that almost all outdoor birds(wild and doemstic) carry mycoplasma and that if your chickens free range then they most likely have it as well. We have also been told it is highly contagious and we should cull the birds immediately. After Monday we will hopefully have a better idea on what step to take next. Just thought I would give an update.

Thom O.

My hens had a terrible case of this and I was told to cull. It about killed me. The vet said mine was a very virolent strain. I had some of them for three years. Please be careful that your other hens do not get this. Thinking of you. gloria Jean

WOW !!!!!!!!!!
I HOPE THIS GOES WELL I AM WITH YOU
hugs.gif

CULLING IS SOMETHING WE DO NEED TO DO AT TIMES
BUT I WOULD HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE REST OF THE FLOCK WAS IN DANGER IF I HAD TO DO IT .BEST TO GET ALL THE FACTS
I HAVE A LITTLE BANTUM HEN CALLED FUZZY FACE . I NOTICED YESTERDAY SHE WAS HAVING TROUBLE BREATHING LIKE SHE WAS CONGUESTED. HER COMB LOOK PALE AND SHE IS NOT BIG TO BEGIN WTIH BUT SEEMS TO HAVE LOST SOME WEIGHT. I BROUGHT HER IN AND GAVE HER A DROP OF VET RX. HER BREATHE WAS STINKY . LIKE YOU SAID DEAD FLESH. BUT I SEE NO PROBLEMS LIKE YOUR HEN. HER NOSTRILS DO LOOK A LITTLE SWOLLEN, BUT NO DRAINAGE SHE BEEN DRINKING A LOT. AND SHE ATE GOOD THIS AFTER NOON. I ALSO GAGE HER SOME POULTRY DRENCH. SHE SEEMS TO BE ALOT MORE ALERT THIS AFTER NOON . WALKING AROUND CLUCKING AND MAKING ALOT OF RACKET.BUT STILL I AM CONCERED ABOUT THE OTHER SYMPTOMS. I STARTED HER ON TETRACYCLINE DRINK. THEIR HAS BEEN NO NEW COMERS TO OUR FLOCK. THE ONLY CHANGE I CAN THINK OF IS THAT THEY WHERE MOVED INTO A LARGER PEN. I MOVED ALOT OF DUST AROUND THAT DAY AS I DUSTED AND CLEANED, BUT THAT WOULD N0T ACCOUNT FOR THE STINKY BREATE . OR WOULD IT ? I AN INTERESTED TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS TO YOURS.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom