New hen sneezing

goldstar1992

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Hertfordshire, UK
I just purchased a new Cochin Hen today she was perfectly fine when i took her away, she was in a box with two other hens that were and are still fine but when i got her home she kept sneezing with a runny nose and a bubbly clear liquid coming out of her eyes.

I have put her separate to my other hens and just went to check on her and she now seams fine,

Does anyone know what this could be ?

Thanks

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
. I had a baby silkie once that kept sneezing with a runny nose. Just keep a close eye on her and she should be fine. The sneezing lasted about a week for me. But, its different for every chicken
D.gif

I would keep this new bird in a very careful quarantine for a good four weeks and observe her carefully. Maybe it's an allergic reaction to something environmental, or, she could easily be a carrier and have some respiratory disease that cropped up due to stress of being moved. It just pays to be vigilant and quarantine new birds. It is very distressing to find out you've brought home a new bird that also brought along a nasty disease to the rest of a previously healthy flock.

I kept her away from the rest for a few days but there was no improvement so I had to take her back but she was the last one so instead i came away with a lovely Speckled Sussex

Back
Top Bottom