New Hens Behavior Normal?

AverellFarms

Chirping
Mar 14, 2021
I acquired four 1 yr old hens last night and they are all beautiful and healthy. They seem to be settling in well, today, despite the heat. I knew there might be a delay in egg-laying after the transition, but 3 out of the four were in and out of the coop nesting boxes for a couple of hours, and one of those three kept it up for 4+ hours and nobody laid an egg. The most persistent one would leave the coop, rejoin the others, then almost immediately rush back to the nesting boxes. She’d fuss around in there for a minute or two, then repeat the cycle. She eventually stopped and it’s 7 pm now. I’m sure they all had eggs in process when I got them last night. Can they just decide not to lay them? Is this getting on and off nests over and over again without laying, normal?

Thank you! Another very strange thing just happened while I was out with them. The Plymouth Rock, while standing in the run, started straining, and the other three ran up to her backside awaiting a gift. She plopped out an egg with no shell which they immediately snatched up and devoured. All four of them. What the heck to all of that.

Thank you! Another very strange thing just happened while I was out with them. The Plymouth Rock, while standing in the run, started straining, and the other three ran up to her backside awaiting a gift. She plopped out an egg with no shell which they immediately snatched up and devoured. All four of them. What the heck to all of that.
Hmm, she might do that often if the others are used to it. try feeding all flock or flock raiser with oyster shell on the side, for more protein and calcium.
If you have egg eaters, poke a hole in some eggs, blow them out and fill them with yellow dish soap, one bite and they leave eggs alone.

Hmm, she might do that often if the others are used to it. try feeding all flock or flock raiser with oyster shell on the side, for more protein and calcium.
If you have egg eaters, poke a hole in some eggs, blow them out and fill them with yellow dish soap, one bite and they leave eggs alone.
I thought the same. Currently have a hard boiled in one of the nests to see if they go after eggs with a shell. Thanks for the suggestion
Chickens will eat eggs and chicken.
What are you feeding them for food? What did the old owners feed them?
she was giving them layer feed. Occasional table scraps. I just got them last night and am feeding them layer feed and oyster shell, some greens and frozen berries (so hot here).

Back
Top Bottom