1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new hens in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scompton21, Dec 31, 2011.

1. scompton21

scompton21 New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    I had a raccoon attack a few months ago and replaced a few hens with some welsummers. The person I bought them from said they were in a breeding group. I have yet to get an egg from them. I have checked them out on a weekly basis and all is good with them. The only thing I can think of is that the person lied to me and sold me chickens that are older and have stopped laying. What are your thoughts?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Too soon to tell whether you got taken for a ride or not.

Chickens hate change and will stop laying if the move to new surroundings stressed them too much. They are also now eating different feed, drinking differently, and roosting in a "strange" place. It is the absolute dead of winter here, with extremely limited amounts of sunlight. Chickens are photo reactive. With only 8 hours of sunlight, they aren't likely to be laying. Give it time. Let's also hope your improved security prevents future predator attacks. Best regards,

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. scompton21

scompton21 New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    I will give it some more time. The raccoons were getting in the run on a grape vine that was overgrown. I cut down the grape vine and all has been good since. Thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by