new hens in the house

maine egg man

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
maine
I have added 4 new pullets 10 weeks old in with the 4 10 week old pullets ( i hope) will have to send pic's so i can get help on breed and gender but i know the 4 i added are pullets 2 brahamas and 2 EE's anyway could keep them apart for a while as space is limited so I placed them in the coop with the others so how long will the others keep picking on the 4 new hens

Quote:
Since they are thrust together now, you're committed. Hang tough.
A few days, a week... it will be something like that. Just give them as much room as you can, since confinement exacerbates the problems of integration.
Then, keep an eye on them and let 'em sort things out for themselves.

thanks that is what I was thinking, should have a little more space since I heard one of the first group crow this morning;)

When I added a few new faces to our flock I was ready to kill the top chicken because she gave our newbies such a hard time. They wouldn't even let one in the coop the first night! They got over it - one new chicken took a month for all the pecking to disappear, and two banties got through the hazing in a couple of days. Just depends on the bird. Just make sure your new chickens have a place to hide and can get enough food and water. I bungee-corded an old baby gate in one corner of my chicken run as a respite area.

Back
Top Bottom