New hens, Ireland

ianmaher

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Hi all..ian maher here introducing myself..im from tipperary in ireland....i recently bought some point of laying pullets,and just as they all had started laying,someone robbed three of them..so i was left with one..after making alterations to the hens pen(security) i went out and bought some more to add to my remaining one,however after putting the new hens in with existing one last night(when they were all asleep)one or two of the new hens are pecking and bullying if you like the existing hen..from watching them today i have also noticed the existing hen is excluded from the pack or gang of hens..any tips, ideas or advice on how to try stop this and get them all getting along together would be great..thanks a million

Welcome. Take the two bullies out for a couple days or more till the single and the new one become buddies, then re-introduce one every couple days.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

You will need to separate the hens for a while. Start by adding the least aggressive of the new hens to your current bird. Then 1 or 2 more, and as they assimilate you can mix the two groups together. Keep them apart but where they can see, hear and smell each other. If you have a particular bully, separate her for several days away from the others before reintroducing her. Good luck - and what a shame that someone stole your other hens.

Thanks a million lads ill try that and see how it goes..thieves are easily sorted with patience and bullets haha thanks again

Welcome BYC. Often chickens wil gang up one one hen-a new hen, a weak hen, or simply because they can. Flock dynamics can change on a daily basis but if your hen is getting bullied to the point of bleeding, it's time to remove her entirely. If they are not yet to that point you can put the new hens in a pen and allow the survivor hen roam about freely. Wait a day or so and release one hen at a time so the feisty fowl can see who is boss without getting overly aggressive.

After 14-30 days of Isolation (always isolate your new birds to prevent disease), I use a GoGo pen with chicken wire on top to introduce new hens to my flock.

This allows for protective contact while allowing the flock to get used to each other.

You if you continue to have problems-watch for the ringleader and cull her from the flock. Or if that is not an option a few members have tried 'peepers' to prevent aggression. Some members have noted peepers work well while others noted the truly aggressive bird learned to see around the colored plastic lens and continue the attacks.

Hope this helps.

images

Welcome to BYC!

TheOldChick X2 You need to separate the newer additions for a few weeks. Keep them in a caged area or a fenced off portion but within the flock. Everybody sees, nobody touches. After a few weeks, the original flock has worked out much of the pecking order from behind the wire. Then come mixing day a few weeks later, the aggressions should be to a minimal. Always watch the flock for that day and throughout that week and always intervene if it turns bloody.

Good luck with your flock and if you have any more questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom