New Hens Laying, But Stopped?

embill11

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
Hello Friends! I am new to chickens so any input/ suggestions are helpful. I have 2 Prairie Bluebells laying (about 20 weeks). They appeared initially to have slightly different egg colors (greenish vs. bluish) so I figured I would be able to tell them apart going forward. They started laying on July 3 and were laying about every other day. Now it appears I am only getting bluish eggs, which I am assuming is from only one chicken. I have gotten 5 bluish eggs but only 2 greenish eggs, the last greenish egg was about 4 days ago. Is that common for hens to be inconsistent early on? The one that I think stopped laying seems content and I have seen her poo so I am not worried about her being egg bound.

Hello Friends! I am new to chickens so any input/ suggestions are helpful. I have 2 Prairie Bluebells laying (about 20 weeks). They appeared initially to have slightly different egg colors (greenish vs. bluish) so I figured I would be able to tell them apart going forward. They started laying on July 3 and were laying about every other day. Now it appears I am only getting bluish eggs, which I am assuming is from only one chicken. I have gotten 5 bluish eggs but only 2 greenish eggs, the last greenish egg was about 4 days ago. Is that common for hens to be inconsistent early on? The one that I think stopped laying seems content and I have seen her poo so I am not worried about her being egg bound.
I have a prairie bluebell that started out by laying greenish eggs, then switched to bluish eggs. Is it possible that she switched to bluish?

I have a 29 week old Welsummer that started laying at 22 weeks for about two weeks and then stopped. She hasn’t layed an egg in a month. It has been nasty hot with many 100 degree days. Took to vet because I thought she might be egg bound. Took X-ray, no egg. Found a wound under her wing and wondered if she had been attacked. Put her on antibiotics and she hasn’t layed since. They free range and I wondered if she is sneaky them out in the woods. But I don’t think so, she stays pretty close to home. Can the stress of heat and an attack cause this? Also I have Prairie Bells and her eggs started off green but in a few weeks became bright blue.

Back
Top Bottom