New Hens not Laying?????

JessicaCayer2

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
I am new to the raising chickens, so when I brought my new hens home I had now real idea what to do. I made the coop nice and cozy, I made nesting box's and made sure they were secure, the have water, food and I bring them treats in the morning. I got a rooster to keep them company and they have been living together for about five days. I don't let them go out yet since they are still getting used to the new place. They all seem to be getting along and although they are still timid towards us they don't seem stressed. No one is laying yet though, is that normal? I know for a fact that at least one of them was laying before I got her and the other two are just about that age. Any suggestions?

welcome-byc.gif

Do you have an idea how old they are? They are probably still a bit stressed by the move and the new environment and will hopefully give you some eggs soon!

5 days is still a short amount of time for them to get used to their new situation. I have had new hens take up to 2+ weeks to start laying. Days are geting shorter now too so make sure they have at least 14 hours of comtinuous light or they will stop laying too.

I know that the two Sussex hens are about 24 wks, and was told they are slow to mature but the other is a Black Orpington and she is mature. I think that they are probably still getting used to the new environment but I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. The lady who I got the hens from said the Orpington was producing but may take a few days to get used to the new environment so maybe I should just wait. I do know that they are not going into the nesting box but the rooster is so I am not sure what to do about that. Does putting fake eggs into the nest really help? They really seem to like the rooster and follow him around everywere. I was also wondering how long should I wait to let them out into the run and then out to free range? Thank you all for your advice!

Yes fake eggs (i use golf balls) help because first time layers don't know where to lay without seeing an older hen do it first. And hens following a rooster is normal chicken flock structure. I'm sure your hens will start laying soon. also i don't think speckled Sussex are particularly known to be a super early layer so 24 weeks and not laying id say is normalish.

Back
Top Bottom