New hens roosting in the big Locus tree

Davlyn

Songster
9 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Pike , NH
Hi.. I just bought 4 Americana hens. 1 is going in the main coop the other 3 R roosting
ep.gif
somad.gif
in R big tree that is in their yard, its about 30ft high, mayB more . They have started laying eggs while in the tree & they R dropping onto the small coop roof. How can I get them to stay out of the tree & go in the coop ? I am thinking about having their wings clipped
hu.gif
( ??? )

Quote:
First, please write in English. It's not that much harder to actually add two more letters ro you 'R'...besides, you used it for two completely different words - are and our. It seems even lazier to not spell a whole word out by leaving off only *one* letter - mayB.

Oh, and it's 'Ameraucana'.

Next, yes, clip a wing if you know how. Then, you're going to have to catch them and put them in the coop, preferably before dusk. If you can't catch them then, wait until dark and try to catch them and put them in the coop at night. Do this until they finally stay in the coop at night by themselves. It's not going to be very easy, but unless you want them to be owl bait or 'coon bait, you need to do this.

I usually lock them in for the first couple of days and then they figure it out after that. Can you catch them and lock them in?

When I first got my pullets 2 of them just had to show me they could fly. My run is not covered yet and they would get on the top rail. That's only 6 feet up. But now the Sexlink, one of the guilty, is the first to go in the coop and has gotten to be one of the friendliest birds of them all. She just had to get comfortable and trust in her new surroundings. Funny thing, the two still do it. They will fly up there, sit for a minute and fly back down inside. Strange creatures.

Quote:
First, please write in English. It's not that much harder to actually add two more letters ro you 'R'...besides, you used it for two completely different words - are and our. It seems even lazier to not spell a whole word out by leaving off only *one* letter - mayB.

Oh, and it's 'Ameraucana'.

Next, yes, clip a wing if you know how. Then, you're going to have to catch them and put them in the coop, preferably before dusk. If you can't catch them then, wait until dark and try to catch them and put them in the coop at night. Do this until they finally stay in the coop at night by themselves. It's not going to be very easy, but unless you want them to be owl bait or 'coon bait, you need to do this.

caf.gif
sorry 4 the short words or a letter 4 what I mean. I have just gotten used 2 emailing my grand-daughter in short. She tex's, I don't tex, but cut it short as she & many of my other friends do that
smile.png
hu.gif

The girls were in a pen with a top over it before I got them . I have 3 coops & put the 4 in the empty one & put up a fence until everyone got used to each other & they there new home. To my surprise each morn only 1 hen was in the coop. The other 3 were always out. I search the whole chicken yard each nite for the 3 girls. The top hen was going in the main coop already. It took me a few days to start looking up on the fence line & by chance spotted them way up in the tree. I always keep my newbies separate for awhile, this is the first time I have had an issue of any sort .
tonight I got the 3 girls in the 2cd coop , I was standing watch waiting for them to make their flight in hopes of catching them . But I got them to go in the coop right off. I am hoping this will continue, when I am not working I can stand watch. I know I " mis-spelled" the word " Ameraucana " sorry:bow. I am looking for advise " please "
fl.gif
, not criticism
hide.gif
as to the fact I use a few tex terms & short cuts & mis-spelled a few words. It's not being lazy by no means .

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Thank You ! I have done that with these 4 girls. The one that was said to be the "queen" of the four , went in the main coop right off. They all flew over the fence I had set up. I did not put a cover over it. I should have as that was what they were used to. But I have never had an issue in the past with any new hens at that age. It's always a first time , right
smile.png

Hubby & I were surely shocked when we found them high in the tree.
WooHoo !
thumbsup.gif
. I got them in the coop tonight . Hopefully I will not have to stand guard every night . My work nights will mess that all up.
If need be for at least this one time , I will clip their wings and hopefully I will never have to do that again.
Thank you
love.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
Thank You
smile.png
I think this is just what these three girls were showing me. They were kept in a small area, nice , clean, but small and they wanted to spread their wings and show off
D.gif
. It's weird ( maybe weird is not the right term I want ) That the Alfa hen went into the main coop & these 3 girls flew the coop ~~~ lol ~~ had 2 say that . TY 4 UR input
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom