New Here! A little Duck help?

KawaiiPika

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 22, 2011
First off Hello!

I love all birds but ducks and geese are my favorites. My experience with ducks is limited to feeding them at the pond behind my home, they have mallards and muscovies down there. Well I found a muscovy baby, he was still covered in yellow and brown down, anyway his leg was hurt badly. (I think a cat got to him, we have many strays around here) I took him to a vet here, he patched his leg up best he could and told me what to do, I had him for about a month and then he died. No clue why, he was limping about because of his leg, vet said he ddint know why. That really broke my heart but after him I figured I wanted to keep ducks as pets, because he was the sweetest thing ever!

What breeds do you all recommend? I have a fondness so far for Pekin, Rouen, Buff, Runners and Cayuga. Not sure which I would like to raise though. Does anyone have any pros and cons about each? I live in close proximity to my neighbors so that is something to consider. I have all the time in the world for them so none of this is an issue.

Should I buy from a hatchery? And if so whats the best? I was told Metzer but if anyone knows a hatchery near Savannah, GA I'd love to check it out.

What about males vs. females? I was told to get females because of eggs, but also because they are generally sweeter. Males also bite near the mating season so does anyone have experience with that?

What about geese? I love Embden and Buff! So beautiful!

So any help at all here? I would appreciate it.

Oh and yes I have been doing all my research for a good while now and I have a buddy in canada who has a swan that she adores, wears a diaper and sleeps on her bed and all. A swan isnt a goose or duck but she knows her stuff. So, I'm ready to undertake this responsibility.

Thanks for any and all help guys!

welcome-byc.gif
I've only had my ducks since April, so I don't know a whole lot about them. From what I understand, males are sweeter. If you want eggs, then obviously you have to get girls though. My girls are pretty loud. If you are worried about your neighbors and the noise, and don't need/want eggs, I'd get all drakes. If you want eggs but need quiet ducks, muscovies. Otherwise, just get what you want.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
!

I have ducks, I adore them. I have rouens, khaki campbells and welsh harlequins! My rouen lays very well. So do the khakis. My ducks arent all that friendly, but I still love them
big_smile.png

I got my welshies from metzer. They are a wonderful hatchery, very nice quality too.

If you want I have a informational thread if you wanna check it out?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=574927&p=1

It has lists of breeds that are good for laying, pets, meat, broodieness, ect. And a couple threads that may help ya out
big_smile.png

I hope it helps!

Madison

I have kept ducks and geese for around 30 years- Both on a farm and in a more residential area- and can honestly say, geese are much more suited to a farm. I have 6 goslings right now- with two starting to get ready to hatch in the incubator- as I just cant resist raising some each year because they are just so gorgeous and such sweet babies. But they cant stay here too long. Being grazers- they quickly have the yard looking like a golf green the grass is so short once they get beyond a few weeks old, so I just raise them and find homes in a more rural area for them.

Ducks can be a little noisy at times too- but mostly when they are hungry, the rest is just a few short bursts of loud quacking- or a few minutes of low muttered conversation. As JulieNKC said- muscovies are very quiet- but some people dont like the way they look. I have a male that is an absolute horror when hormones hit. Every spring he has to be locked up for the sake of our ankles. he was hand raised as a lone duckling though- many drakes raised in a group dont attack like my Monty does.

Girls rule! If you are getting several, make sure your girls WAY outnumber your boys.

A single duck (or any bird) will bond to you more tightly than a group of ducks. Ducks prefer to bond to each other.

All the breeds you are considering sound lovely. I have Pekins and Mallard big ducks. The Pekins have always been more people-oriented.

My babies are Runners (and girl Pekins - for my 2 Pekin drakes someday). The Runners are SO much more nervious than my big ducks! My young Pekin girls are following suit - not nearly as calm as my first batch, nor do they spend as much time in the pool. My baby batch came from Metzer and appear to be healthy.

The Mallards fly. Mine, however, stay right at the house as if my Pekin drakes are the parents. All are the same age.

Geese can be chancey on disposition. I would avoid geese if in a urban area.

Most importantly, when you get them, post pictues on BYC.

metzer is proven for everyone, and it's 2 day shipping no matter where you are pretty much. Plus he offers lots of support for duck owners on his website. If you want to go an inexpensive and simple route though, you might check a feed store. I *may have* just added 2 blue sweedish, 1 black sweedish and a rouen for 2.75 apiece today.... maybe. <_< I did a vent check after I picked them... looks like I may have drawn all females from the box. Lucky!!!!
clap.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
:bun:ya:clap

I've got two drakes and six ducks. I've had them for about 6 months. I wouldn't be without them now. I love 'em to bits.

I was at the avian vet today with a duck (hurt leg) and the vet commented that ducks are the parrots of the poultry world. They're curious, smart, quick to learn, responsive and engaging.

They also poop like you wouldn't believe. So it's important to put a lot of thought into their accommodation. It needs to keep the ducks safe from predators, provide water they can put their heads in and throw over their bodies, and give shelter from bad weather. It needs to be easy to clean. The drainage needs to be excellent. Ducks also like shade, not direct sun, so it needs to be shady.

Drakes do bite now and then (only if you do something they disapprove of) but it's kind of like being attacked with a clothes peg. Nothing to worry about and doesn't hurt. I'm talking about mallard-derived ducks though. Muscovies might be a different story but I have no experience with them.

Thanks everyone for the help and I did check out the post DuckGirl it was good!

I think I may get 3 Pekin, Cayuga and a Rouen and see how things turn out. I will be posting lots of pics when I get my babies though, thanks so much!

Great choices! Consider paying the extra to get the sexes that you want. The price of the ducks is SO SMALL compared to what you are going to pay in feed.
yippiechickie.gif

Have you ever though about a water fowl rescue or even adopting some of the domesticated ones at the park where you found the duckling? Muscovy are the lowest on the noise level and very sweet birds, but I could be partial since I have 10 of them. you didn't have them on your list any reason?

Back
Top Bottom