New here and LOOK WHAT I FOUND!

Fluffly-Butt-Farms

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2017
Western North Carolina
Good evening! New to this site but am not TOTALLY new to hobby poultry farming.

A few years ago I started a small mixed flock in my back yard on the opposite side of the state (Coastal NC). My flock (all hens, in the beginning) consisted of 2 Jersey Giant’s, 2 Wyandotte's and 1 Red Sex-Link (My favorite). I purchased my first 5 chicks from Tractor Supply on Valentines Day of 2013. By June of that year my flock had grown to 10! I added 1 more Red sex-link’s (she was older and in need of a good home), 2 white Silky Bantam hen’s and, finally two black Silky Bantam roosters. The two black Silkies were advertised as “hens” when I purchased them. A few weeks, and a few “cock-a-doodle-doos” later, it was apparent they were not as advertised.
My experiences were great! I am a HUGE fan of the Red Sex-Link... both of mine especially the one I raised from a chick were the sweetest gals. She would literally walk into the house and make herself at home. The Silky hens were skittish and broody (had a handy broody buster/rabbit hutch on hand). The roosters were nice to have because they both did their absolute best to defend the flock at night.
Ultimately I had to give away what girls I had left (after predators took 1/3 of them). They girls were used to free-ranging in my back yard 24/7 and would not take to my small coop. So I gave them to a friend who had a larger coop for the ones I had left.
Anyhow... I have since left the beach and moved to the mountains of North Carolina to my aunts farm. Truthfully, not much farming has gone on here for at least 15 years or so. When they first started the farm (about 35 years ago) they built a very nice chicken coop, which has long been abandoned. As a young girl on my summer breaks I would go down to the coop with my uncle to collect eggs. It was always a fond memory. I was out for a walk this past weekend and decided I would check out the inside of the coop. Upon first glance The outside is still standing and looks “okay” for being 35+ years old. Mostly it’s just covered in vines and small fallen trees. It sits just below the road on a bank. The steps leading down to the door were ankle deep in decades of “black gold” (leaf mulch). I had to clear the steps and the bottom landing to get the door open.... I was pretty anxious of what may be lurking inside of the Long-forgotten chicken coop.
Since this is just the “introduce yourself” section I will start a different thread somewhere else on this site. If anyone has any suggestions as to the proper starting point for that I am ALL EARS!
Thanks and keep an eye out for my future posts and pics for what I found inside the coop!

And YES, I am definitely getting back into my previously short lived hobby!

Attachments

• AD325022-F73C-4D8F-BDF5-718F1AD93B28.jpeg
    AD325022-F73C-4D8F-BDF5-718F1AD93B28.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
sharedalbum
sharedalbum
Besides a few cobwebs and a few (maybe more than a few) egg cartons... it’s almost perfect!!! While I can already see what modifications it needs, which I will post somewhere more appropriate than in my intro thread, it was like stepping back in time.

And, no, not a hole in the roof there. That’s actually a section of greenhouse roofing that is not totally covered with leaves.

sharedalbum
sharedalbum
Besides a few cobwebs and a few (maybe more than a few) egg cartons... it’s almost perfect!!! While I can already see what modifications it needs, which I will post somewhere more appropriate than in my intro thread, it was like stepping back in time.

And, no, not a hole in the roof there. That’s actually a section of greenhouse roofing that is not totally covered with leaves.

Back
Top Bottom