New here and new Pekin fancier

PekinMama

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2020
Hello! My 3 female Pekins were hatched 11/16/2020 and arrived the next day. They are growing fast! On Thanksgiving day, we moved them from the brooder to a large doghouse converted to duck house. I had intended to allow edible plants to grow from seed before introducing them to their small run, but they grew much faster than I was expecting. As they get bigger, we plan to let them roam the backyard when we’re outside with them and maybe we can move their house to allow the duck run seedlings to come in.

my son is eager to have them use their pool, but we clearly need ramps and I’m worried it’s too cold for them until their adultfeathers come in. We live in Silicon Valley; it gets down to mid-30s at night sometimes and daytime highs low 60s right now. I know as the ducks mature, they can tolerate 20 degrees. Just not sure about swimming yet. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 0C6BC636-90AF-4C2E-84B7-E469A217FCBD.jpeg
    0C6BC636-90AF-4C2E-84B7-E469A217FCBD.jpeg
    666.3 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your ducklings. They are still at the age/size where they can become hypothermic. I would provide a heat source outside and I would not allow access to swimming water until fully feathered.
Thanks for the feedback! The ducklings have a warming nest plate to help them stay warm. They seem to use it at night, but not during the day.

Hello! My 3 female Pekins were hatched 11/16/2020 and arrived the next day. They are growing fast! On Thanksgiving day, we moved them from the brooder to a large doghouse converted to duck house. I had intended to allow edible plants to grow from seed before introducing them to their small run, but they grew much faster than I was expecting. As they get bigger, we plan to let them roam the backyard when we’re outside with them and maybe we can move their house to allow the duck run seedlings to come in.

my son is eager to have them use their pool, but we clearly need ramps and I’m worried it’s too cold for them until their adultfeathers come in. We live in Silicon Valley; it gets down to mid-30s at night sometimes and daytime highs low 60s right now. I know as the ducks mature, they can tolerate 20 degrees. Just not sure about swimming yet. Thoughts?
I noticed you had pellets and not crumbles in their feed dish. You may have to moisten them for them until they get bigger. Don't forget the Niacin, You don't wont leg issues either.

welcome2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom