New here and new to chickens

Matbirch

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2017
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes im new got em 3 days ago
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
3 i had 4 but one ran away:(
(3) What breeds do you have?
I am not sure i got the chickens from a friend for free
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Doing research about chickens online
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like to build things with wood
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have 3 dogs a pitbull a german shepherd mix and an Australian shepherd a holland lop bunny and im a roofer by trade

Attachments

• 0609171828.jpg
    0609171828.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 12
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have 3 dogs a pitbull a german shepherd mix and an Australian shepherd a holland lop bunny and im a roofer by trade
Welcome!!
It looks like in your picture you have maybe 2 roosters(pic is small)----bantam maybe. Your pen is not safe with the chicken wire unless you do not have to worry about predators? Do they have shade, a coop with roost, etc?

Free chickens are not always the best to start with---most people do not want to get rid of good ones so they give away things they do not want and it takes no Longer for you to raise Good Chickens than raising someone else rejects---just saying.

Before you take on any more chickens decide what you want out of them---like eggs, meat, pets. etc. If you want eggs---get good layers, meat--get meat chickens etc. We will try to help by answering your questions.

!:welcome
Its great that you like to build with wood. There are a lot of information on BYC to help build a great Chicken Coop & Run. The main thing is to build something predator proof. Make sure to post pictures. We love pictures!
Also, Keep in mind, if you add chickens, there is a specific way to introduce them to each other. You will find all that info on the site.

Yeah my friends dad passed away sadly and he wanted to find them a home but i could only catch a few of them they were free range at his house and i got them free range in my yard and a few of my neighbors have chickens freerange so they should be ok ive never seen a snake on our property in the woods or grass but im new to this so all imput is very well considered i dont have any specific plans for the chickens other than being happy i have to buy the wood and im going to build a much nicer coop my avitar is of the big rooster i got he is a cool guy likes to be pet and i put him in his cage at night that i brought him in he doesnt really seem to go to the coop or move much just stand near food and water or come to the house

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I'm sure you'll be able to build a great coop for your new flock.

Best wishes
CT

Yeah my friends dad passed away sadly and he wanted to find them a home but i could only catch a few of them they were free range at his house and i got them free range in my yard and a few of my neighbors have chickens freerange so they should be ok ive never seen a snake on our property in the woods or grass but im new to this so all imput is very well considered i dont have any specific plans for the chickens other than being happy i have to buy the wood and im going to build a much nicer coop my avitar is of the big rooster i got he is a cool guy likes to be pet and i put him in his cage at night that i brought him in he doesnt really seem to go to the coop or move much just stand near food and water or come to the house
Check the bottom of the big guys feet. He may have bumble foot if he isn't walking much.
Snakes, dogs, raccoons, opossum, hawks...are just 5 of the MANY predators you will have to think about coming to get your chickens. Build a secure coop and run for them.

Welcome to BYC and your new hobby.

1) This is my second time of keeping Pets With Benefits, my current birds are a couple years old but I had a small flock when my children were in elementary school and in 4H (agricultural educational program for children).

2) Right now I have two hens, but along time ago had many more.

3) I currently have Hatchery Ameraucanas aka Easter Eggers. I have kept Vietnamese Jungle Fowl, Rhode Island Red, Polish, Naked Neck, Cornish, and Gold Star Sex Links.

4) Oh a while back I started missing my chickens and so I started researching my options on the net as last time I kept Chickens Forums,Blogs and so on did not exist... so just sort of stumbled onto the site.

5) Well I garden, poorly. I enjoy RPGs especially old TSR ones (currently playing D&D) when I have the time model building, painting figures last group was 1/72 Red Martian Army, I have a collection of trains (but no good place yet to do the layout for the HO collection, my N scale will be repairing and hopefully I can start on that soon), Chickens count as a hobby, I enjoy when hubby is up to it historic recreation, hubby is no longer up to camping but love that, & Star Trek Costuming... I am usually a Klingon, but hubby has been to ill for any of that recently. I enjoy drawing but rarely have the time. My work usually sucks up my extra time and energy right now. I love Sci-fi.

6) I am a Commercial Driver specifically School Bus, I am married, my husband is a disabled Navy Veteran he has many medical issues and is currently fighting cancer on top of his other medical issues, I have two children both now adults a son and a daughter, and I am American. Besides my chickens, we currently have two cats. I have had a lot of other critters as pets over the years.

My Star Wars Chickens Leia (light coloured bird) and Amidala (dark coloured bird).
IMG_1929.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG

Me

IMG_2274.JPG

Welcome to the site, there are great folks here, people of all knowledge levels and specialities... subjects on everything chicken and not just chickens too.
IMG_2580.JPG

Last edited:
Yes i just checked his feet it looks like he has a black scab on one is their a way to help him without surgery

Welcome to BYC!
Pretty birds you have there!
[

Welcome to BYC and your new hobby.

1) This is my second time of keeping Pets With Benefits, my current birds are a couple years old but I had a small flock when my children were in elementary school and in 4H (agricultural educational program for children).

2) Right now I have two hens, but along time ago had many more.

3) I currently have Hatchery Ameraucanas aka Easter Eggers. I have kept Vietnamese Jungle Fowl, Rhode Island Red, Polish, Naked Neck, Cornish, and Gold Star Sex Links.

4) Oh a while back I started missing my chickens and so I started researching my options on the net as last time I kept Chickens Forums,Blogs and so on did not exist... so just sort of stumbled onto the site.

5) Well I garden, poorly. I enjoy RPGs especially old TSR ones (currently playing D&D) when I have the time model building, painting figures last group was 1/72 Red Martian Army, I have a collection of trains (but no good place yet to do the layout for the HO collection, my N scale will be repairing and hopefully I can start on that soon), Chickens count as a hobby, I enjoy when hubby is up to it historic recreation, hubby is no longer up to camping but love that, & Star Trek Costuming... I am usually a Klingon, but hubby has been to ill for any of that recently. I enjoy drawing but rarely have the time. My work usually sucks up my extra time and energy right now. I love Sci-fi.

6) I am a Commercial Driver specifically School Bus, I am married, my husband is a disabled Navy Veteran he has many medical issues and is currently fighting cancer on top of his other medical issues, I have two children both now adults a son and a daughter, and I am American. Besides my chickens, we currently have two cats. I have had a lot of other critters as pets over the years.

My Star Wars Chickens Leia (light coloured bird) and Amidala (dark coloured bird).
View attachment 1038730 View attachment 1038721 View attachment 1038723

Me

View attachment 1038744

Welcome to the site, there are great folks here, people of all knowledge levels and specialities... subjects on everything chicken and not just chickens too. View attachment 1038749

Back
Top Bottom