New here and to chicken

I took your advice and went with cackle hatchery. I got my babies in today and they are too cute 😍. All are very healthy looking very active so very happy with them and I ordered 5 fem and 1 male of the lavender orpington and they sent me 8 total so thats awesome. So now I have my lavender orpington and ayam cemani now waiting on my black australorps but they won't be here till October. So thanks again for the recommendation 🤘👊🤝View attachment 3464795
Aww...cutie pies! :love Lavender Orps grow to be gorgeous birds!!

Well i had one chick that was really loud very often. He or she was the smallest out of all the others and kept trying to get under the other chicks. I figured he missed his mom 😢 so I made this lil safe space for him to hide and play in and he or she has been happy every since. Nothing but happy lil peeps. I also have another wood roost for them to play on in a bigger space but gotta clean out an area to put it first.
20230413_161720.jpg

Ok last night I was picking up my chicks checking them out for any issues and I noticed one had the pasty but and pretty good. I cleaned off as much as I could but it had hardened. I got the vent cleaned off and she can poop freely and to help out I put a light layer of olive oil on the poop to help break it up to hopefully remove later. Also put sum around the area to prevent poop from sticking anymore. Now I got sum chick grit and cornmeal to help but as I was going through the others over half had pasty butt. Any thoughts or recommendations. I read that putting probiotics in the food helps but it already comes with it should I add more

Ok last night I was picking up my chicks checking them out for any issues and I noticed one had the pasty but and pretty good. I cleaned off as much as I could but it had hardened. I got the vent cleaned off and she can poop freely and to help out I put a light layer of olive oil on the poop to help break it up to hopefully remove later. Also put sum around the area to prevent poop from sticking anymore. Now I got sum chick grit and cornmeal to help but as I was going through the others over half had pasty butt. Any thoughts or recommendations. I read that putting probiotics in the food helps but it already comes with it should I add more
If the feed has probiotics, then it's probably enough. Temps in the brooder can cause pasty butt, too hot or too cold. Make sure to keep the heat source off to one side so that the other is cool. Temp directly under the heat on the floor should be about 88 degrees for 1 to 7 day olds. Keep food and water on the cool side of the brooder, chicks can't regulate their internal temp yet and need cool spots in the brooder to lower their temp. Keep up the good work with the pasty butts!

Update: forgot to come back here but they are all doing great. Had to relocate them to another bigger pen and one with a zip up top. These ameraucana are definitely different than my lavender orpingtons. They are very active and energetic and can't jump extremely high. They are also more skiddish than the orpingtons. Hope they eventually get use to me. One of them ended having a scissor beak but she's strong and healthy so grateful for that.
20230729_140312.jpg
20230729_140230.jpg

Back
Top Bottom