New here, and up to my neck in roosters I fear

Rowsdower

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
I have been reading these pages fairly regularly since deciding to adopt some preschool hatching project chicks. It's been roughly 8 weeks since I went chicken crazy. Thought I would pop in to say hello and maybe solicit some help in sexing these buggers. Thanks in advance for any help.

The two that I am concerned about are the black one and the white one. I am fairly sure on the others as they are starting to crow. As far as I can tell they are mixed bag farm chickens so I can't really help you in regard to breed. Again, any help is appreciated and I can't wait to get to know you all.

Edited to add:
These chicks came from white, brown, pink, and green eggs.

Last edited:
they all look like hens except the brown and black one. pink green and blue eggs are ameraucana eggs.

Last edited:
The brown and black one and the two little bantam cochin muttlings are all cockerels, I think. They're in a crowing competition in my sunroom every morning. Thank goodness the coop will be here next week. I hope you are right on the little black one. She's not nearly as red-combed as the boys but it is a bit large, which threw me off. Thanks for your help. :)

Last edited:
depending on breeds, hens can have larger combs than roosters. if they are crowing then they are roosters, so sorry. next time i reccomend buying pullets.

WelcometoBYC.gif

Thanks all, for all of the warm welcomes. Are we all in agreement that the black one is a pullet then?

frow.gif
These are 8 weeks old? The only pullet I see is the white one. The black is iffy but I'm leaning toward cockerel if indeed these birds are 8 weeks old.

Seven - eight weeks is the best guess I can come up with based on the rough hatch dates provided by the teacher, some hatched earlier than others. You think they look younger? Older? If behavior is anything to go by, she acts a lot more like the little white pullet than she does the boys. When they get into their little crowing competitions, she lies on the ground at their feet. But then, on the subject of feet, her feet look a lot more bulky than the pullet's, but not as thick as the big red cockerel's legs. So hard to tell when you've no real idea of breed (or how to sex chickens).

I have decided to keep the little brown and black roo. I went from "I will never have a rooster" to being absolutely smitten with him in just a few days, but the two little bantams are going to have to find a home. Is it possible to home two roos together if they're free-ranged and do not have access to hens?

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I want to say the white and black ones are hens. It looks like the neck feather are more rounded, which says hen, if they are pointed, that says roo. Good luck. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom