New here. Egg Binding, prolapse... please advise.

amyegg

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
I have a either one or 2 yo Buff Orpington hen that presented yesterday AM with squatting and on closer inspection had a prolapse. I brought her inside, put her in the dark and attempted the honey/ olive oil treatment. It popped back out. I left her in the dark to go google and she ended up passing the egg. It was a fine egg, no thin shell, not especially large.

I moved the hens to their permanent coop last week after a raccoon attack and all 3 stopped laying.
hmm.png
I had been keeping them in a 6x10 dog kennel after they took out one of our 4 mo pullets. These girls are not very adaptable. I bought them fully grown and after bringing them home nobody laid for 6 weeks.

Apart from the squatting before passing the egg, she was never distressed, eats fine and acts pretty normal. She still has the prolapse. I got some Prep H and tried that. It popped back out. I am leaning towards just keeping it dark to stop the laying, keeping the prolapse clean and letting her try to heal. I don't think messing with it repeatedly is helpful. Culling is not an option. These are my autistic son's pets.

So here is where I am confused. Treatment for egg binding is to try to get the egg to pass. Treatment for prolapse is to stop egg production. I am assuming she has more partially formed eggs in there. What happens to those if keeping her in the dark is successful at stopping the laying? I should just treat for prolapse unless she shows signs of binding again right? Any suggestions would be so helpful. I am such a newb.

One of my girls got a prolapse right when she started laying. That was 7mnths ago. She is laying every day and she looks messy back there.we tried all the remedies but it pops out with each egg.she seems happy .I don't want to starve her.

She laid another one tonight right on time despite all the darkness. It did pop back in briefly with a gentle push when she was getting her hiney bath. Then she laid. She is still acting fine. It doesn't look any worse after. I see that some of the flesh may be dying there, I have nobody to hold her if I end up having to cut it off.
barnie.gif
Good to know that she can be okay even if it doesn't resolve.
smile.png

An update because I am seeing that many threads don't get replies here and it may help someone else. I put her out the next day. She hasn't laid since Her rear continued to be messy and I would just catch her and clean it up every night. Sometimes I would poke it back in , sometimes not. She continued to act otherwise fine. One of my girls came down with a very severe roundworm problem so I wormed the flock yesterday, cleaned her up as usual and put her to bed. Today her prolapse is completely better!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom