New Here- Hatching Pekins...questions

Islandmom511

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Hi all! I am new here and a Mom who is hatching this summer for a project with my 3 year old daughter. We have a "chickubator" for an incubator and 3 pekin duck eggs. I am here and have a lot to learn! The last time I candled was on day 4 (made an at home candler with a box and a mag light) and I only saw a small dark spot in each, with no veins. Is that pretty normal? It seems only 2 have air sacs too, is that a sign of fertility? Sorry if my lingo is off...like I said I am still learning. I don't have any way to watch humidity, but the directions say just to put water in one of the legs of the bator. The temp has been up and down a bit but mostly between 98-102...(90% of the time 99-100)...except this morning it was down around 97
hmm.png
I did some rearranging and it is back up around 99.5. Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and I plan on posting some pics tonight to see what all of your experts think! Happy hatching!

p.s. I can totally see how this can become addicting! My husband is making fun of me saying "who is this project for, our daughter or you?!" lol

Thanks! I hear they are pretty similar to chickens, just take 28 days instead.

Can someone tell me about "lockdown"?

Lockdown means you stop turning and bump up your humidity. If you have an automatic turner, you switch it off and take it out, then you shut the bator and try not to open it until your hatch is complete. You stop turning the eggs to allow the chick to position itself for pipping and hatching, and you keep the bator closed to keep the humidity up. If you move the eggs, you muck up the chick's ideal hatching position, and if you open the door, the humidity drops and takes a while to build back up.

Hope that helps a bit!

Back
Top Bottom