New Here, Hello All!

vwmomof3

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Poulsbo, WA
I've taken the suggestion questions and posted them so I can introduce my self with a little help...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We are new to hatching chickens. We've had chickens at my parent's farm for years now, but usually only order chicks. This time, since we are homeschooling, we took the oppertunity to incubate 30 eggs to see if we can produce a set of chicks for the farm.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Currently we have no chikens here at our home, but the chickens at our family farm I would venture to say ranges to maybe 100 + . They are seperated for uses in different fields. We have received an order of 30+ Speical mix from McMurry Hatchery .

(3) What breeds do you have?
On the farm we raise Orpingtons

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I found this site by just googling info on hatching eggs and the incubation process.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Rasing kids... lol , horses, geocaching, reading

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My name is Megan I'm a wife of a US Navy Submariner, we have 3 kids all under the age 7. We have an English Masttiff and an American Pittbull Terrior (both labeled as chicken chasers, which we hope to break that label... ) We also have a 20 gal. tank of hermit crabs. I'm a stay at home mom who homeschools, and works from home for a bail bonding company and I'm also a Licensed Massage Therapist. We are hatching eggs for a homeschooling project of sorts and we plan to take the few week old chicks up to the farm to live untill they are old enough to 'attend' the 'chickn party', where they make their way to the freezer. My son named the process the 'Chicken Party' for a lack of a better name for the happenings. We live on the coast of the most southern point in GA, and our family farm is in the Foothills of Rocky Mountain VA. My family owns a small 55acer farm out there where most of the animals are raised for food. We have a number of animals who don't have that purpose but its not many...
smile.png
2 milking Devons, 1 goat named trailer (he was supposed to be trained to pull a cart for my son.... instead he's just a big bully hard headed goat), 1 chicken named blaster (sworn not to kill per the oath with a 6 (now 7 year old). 6 horses.... to beautify the farm. lol they haven't actually been ridden or driven in ages, but we love them none the less. Oh and a Lama, we had two lamas, but tragiclly one passed away last year; they are our guard animals for the heards (sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, peacocks, pigs, cattle, horses, etc.). We also have 3 Karakachan guard dogs for the herds as well. Lastly you have to include the number of farm cats and dogs that are protectors of warm spaces and full food bowls (two Newfoundlands, a yellow Lab mix, and an unknown number of barn cats (we have them fixed as we find them).

So that's me, I'm hear because of incubator and hatching questions... so I guess I'll head over there next.

welcome-byc.gif
from Indiana!
frow.gif

We have about 30 chickens now. I'm really parcel to my Australorps and orpingtons! They awesome birds!
I first got chickens last year. I found BYC researching chickens before we got any. I love it here!
My hobbies are gardening, canning, baking bread, my kids of course.... my chickens, we have German Sheperds we plan to breed in about 18 months. I also collect old milk bottles, and cookbooks!
wee.gif

Hello! Ok I am a real newby! I am looking for a couple runner ducklings. I have never had ducks before and have been doing a lot of research and decided on runners. Now that I have made my decision of course I can't find any!! I live in Pierce County, Washington and would rather drive to pick them up than have them shipped. Anyone help?

Back
Top Bottom