New Here! Looking for some advice

It's great you've decided to join us! I'll be new to ducks too!:highfive: When do yours arrive or how are you obtaining them? From what I hear, ducks are pretty messy. But I think you can handle it.;) If you'd like, you can join my thread started specifically for new duck owners that have questions! Here is a link. Once again, welcome to byc!!:celebrate https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/its-almost-time-duck-buyers-unite.1209379/page-7

I would love to join! Thank You!
We were originally thinking Christmas Ducklings, But because of all the great information I have gotten so far, I think waiting till the spring would be better! When will you be getting yours and how many?

FYI, baby ducklings should never be left with open water. they lack the oily feathers that will keep them afloat and can actually drown! I learned the hard way when I came home to find my ducklings standing in a tub of water on their tip toes. Luckily, they did not drown, but they would have if I had not found them. Personally, I'd wait till spring. The only thing (IMO) worse than brooding chicks in the house would be doing so in the winter. And the only thing worse than that would be brooding ducks in the house. Far worse than that would be doing so in the winter. Just my 2 cents worth!!

That must have been so scary!! Thank You for that information. As excited as I was to get them in the next few weeks, I am definitely thinking now that it’s best to wait, otherwise I’m goibg to have them in my house until March or April :oops:

First off, a lot will depend on how many ducks ya are thinking about getting. During the winter is not the ideal time to brood them, because they grow at a very rapid rate and by the time they get feathered out....about 6 wks old....they are about half grown and depending on breed, it may be a little longer. Until they are fully feathered ya wouldn't want to put them out in below 30°. They certainly aren't the cleanest little things and can mess up an area rather quickly. If it were me, I'd work on them an area thru the winter and have things set up so they can be secured and protected at night from predators and then get them to brood in March or April. The next problem comes in, when there isn't any experience to rely on in order to know how to set things up....I know this from my own experience....and we got 12 day old ducks at one time, well it was a fiasco to say the least, but we survived it. I was sooo glad we had waited until the first of June '15, because they went outside when they were about 4wks old....the low temps were in the 50s and the highs were in the 70s. We were cleaning their brooder 2-3 times a day and it was getting to be a real chore. Is your gazebo sitting on the ground, or is it raised off the ground about 3' ?
The reason I ask is ya might want to consider something like our set-up here.....View attachment 1203698 View attachment 1203699 View attachment 1203705 ...the first 2 pics are of their bedding area, in the 2nd one ya can see their water tub and feed tray....they bed in that area and we lock them up every night. Their area is 6'x8' which is half of the nuderneath of the chicken coop. The last pic shows their yard and it has an opening that leads out to a much larger fenced in area they share with the goats. It is in the big area that we keep their pool in and when we are going to be gone for more than an hour we will leave them in their yard. Ducks can see in the dark and they like to be able to see if anything is coming around them....they will alert to anything strange being close by....the sides and gates of their area is covered in 1/2" hardware cloth and they have plenty of room to manuever around in their bedding area. They are waterfowl and in being such they are not as affected by cold temps as ya might think....they can handle it pretty well. We use hay as their bedding and use the deep litter method....this keeps warmth in the bedding and helps to handle the extra cold temps. When the temps get in the 20s here, I just throw a bit of extra hay in for them around the border and I have narrow pcs of plywood on the sides that act as a windblock, but they are able to see over readily. I know this is a long post in answer to your question, but I was once in your shoes and just trying to relate some of my experiences as I learned as I went. I sure hope it all works out for ya and if I can be of any help just ask....:)

So much great information- Thank You! We are planning on starting off with two, and the decision has been made to wait until the spring, Thanks to all the great advice I’ve received here!

Your set up is awesome! Tomorrow I will take a picture of our gazebo and post them. It is off the ground, but definitely not enough room to do anything with. I will post pictures, would love to get feedback! It’s very sturdy, and I think we can make it a nice space for them.

Thank You! So much great information. I was worried that this wouldn't be the best time of year to get them. No way I'll be able to match the outdoor temps inside, especially in January. Instead of Christmas ducklings, we can get Easter ones! That will give us plenty of time to get their coop ready.

As for the pool, we can certainly keep the pool in their run area, we will just make sure to keep all water out of the coop. Thank you for that advice.

If we keep their coop water free at night, that means no food at night either, correct?

Also, I'm guessing like chickens, they need to be locked in their coop at night, is this correct?

What do you suggest as bedding in the coop?

Thanks for all your help!
:wee:welcome

I just started with ducks this summer and I love them. I decided to start with 3 since they need friends and I didn't want to take on too many to start with. I am hooked. I can't decide what breed to get next!!! My coop has space for 5-6 ducks only and I am already thinking about how to expand. So, don't worry about it being too big, seriously. Yes, they can make a mess. Anywhere there is water, they will destroy the lawn, leaving behind a muddy mess, drilling ankle turning holes and spitting all that mud back into their water. Embrace the mud. You cannot fight it. When you heat their chitterings of happiness in the mud, you will embrace the mud. Welcome!!

Back
Top Bottom