new here looking to learn.

JLaw

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Forestville NY
Hello all new to chickens looking to get some this week but may have to hold off due to weather in western ny not letting me build a coop. I've been wanting chickens for about 3 years now wife is against it (lets all boo her).I've been married for almost 7 years, live about an hour south of buffalo. I have two kids son turning 7 in few weeks daughter turning 5 this Friday. Daughter has heart problems and goes in for surgery come April 10th. She wants a silkie, my son don't think he cares too much, My wife wants one of the blackish chicks from ts and lastly I want RIR's. I'm looking to build a coop around 8x8 trying to spend as little as posable. I'm orignaly from out skirts of Cincinnati ohio. I meet my wife in the marines we both served 4 years right after high school her a year behind me. Well not sure what all else to say think only things I could give out more would be ssn, bank account info and mothers maiden name lol.

welcome-byc.gif
thank you both for your time in the service.

Silkies are great chickens especially for kids, generally very docile and quiet. Other breeds tend to bully them- if you make one a housepet for your daughter it should get along fine.If you want silkies in a coop of their own - you should have two or three. Due to their big crests they don't see well and don't usually roost but, pile up on the floor and keep each other warm.

My friend was had chickens as house pets for more than 20 years, the majority of them(and her favorites) are silkies. Hope your daughter's surgery is successful.

Hi &
welcome-byc.gif
. Glad you joined us! Thanks for sharing and hope Spring comes soon. So tired of this lasting winter weather. My husband didn't think we needed any chickens a few years back but, he really kind ouof enjoys them and likes selling eggs at his work. lol Watch out for chicken math as it will sneak up on you. lol You could buy a incubator and find some local eggs to hatch. It would be a fun project for your kids and give you a little more time to build a coop.
Good Luck with you new adventure and I hope everything goes Really Well for your daughters' upcoming surgery and that she recovers quickly!!!

Greetings from Kansas, jlawson83, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us!! Happy you joined our community! Good luck to you and best wishes with your daughter's surgery. I think chickens would be a great addition.

Back
Top Bottom