new here, new to our property, and getting new chickens, all since the new year!

We are using trees off the property so, we cut one down, cut limbs and brush off.

Buck to the desired length, depending on diameter of the tree whether it'll be rails or posts, then we quarter the logs with 2 splitting wedges and a maul. Then the ends of the rails and the posts will be notched to fit together upon assembly.

It's really a very simple design. But it's not a lot of fun to actually do.

But the boy hasn't been to weight lifting since we started and says he's bigger now then he was working out twice a day.

Last edited:

What we split today.

That looks like very time consuming work!  I bet dummy is going to love having so much space to explore.  :)

Yeah its definitely time consuming. But we are making headway. So it's worth it. Honestly I enjoy the work, because it's one of the few things that I'm actually doing for myself.

I do this same work all day for other people to build their dreams. Kinda nice to do it for my family. Sense of pride I suppose.

Oh yeah, dummy loves it there. We need to work on him staying with us a lil bit, but he was off his tie for most of the call and we only had to call him a few times.

Thank you for the comments.

Are you going to back the split rail fence with horse fencing or is that for the wood side of the road only?
That is so much work to split your own rails ... I love the split rail fence look but we don't have any trees on the property to make our own.

We are about to start breaking sod to create a garden. I need to get the apple trees trimmed and the orchard area sorted out before spring truly hits and the trees I ordered come in.

Are you going to back the split rail fence with horse fencing or is that for the wood side of the road only?
That is so much work to split your own rails ... I love the split rail fence look but we don't have any trees on the property to make our own.

We are about to start breaking sod to create a garden.  I need to get the apple trees trimmed and the orchard area sorted out before spring truly hits and the trees I ordered come in.

The split rail will be on the pasture side of the road. But will be a facade for the high tinsle electric fence.

It's definitely work, but worth it.

We are planning on only building our dream home once. So if we want it we have to build it now.

Something I'd like to say about this project as a whole.

I am getting such joy out of doing as much as I can my self that I don't even see it as work. I enjoy everything I've done and am planning even more things for myself that I want to do. It's exactly what I do for a living, bit is definitely not "work" when it's for yourself.

I'm blessed with this experience, honestly.

Oh, and I'm bringing the excavator in tomorrow. Things are gonna get interesting!

Last edited:
The frost is just starting to come out of the ground here. We have to wait a little while before we attempt to take the tractor into the field.
Good luck and happy digging

Back
Top Bottom