mommysharkdoodoo

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
Hi! I’m a mama to three young kids, three dogs, one cat, and two leopard geckos, but no chickens, yet.

I would love some friendly chickens that my kids can handle but who also lay a variety of colored eggs. Easter Eggers? Olive Eggers? Black Copper Marans? I’m open to suggestions about the most kid-friendly chickens who lay the prettiest eggs.

I currently homeschool and I enjoy crocheting and reading in my (very little😴) spare time. I’ve downloaded a pattern to crochet one of those “egg collecting aprons” but I haven’t gotten started on it yet.

I found BYC while doing a google search for my local chicken laws. I’m in Cecil County Maryland, if anyone has any advice for me! I have family members with chickens here, one of my neighbors has chickens, I don’t think it’s a problem but I’d like to be very clear on the laws before we even build the coop(which my husband is going to start working on soon! 🙂)

Hi! I’m a mama to three young kids, three dogs, one cat, and two leopard geckos, but no chickens, yet.

I would love some friendly chickens that my kids can handle but who also lay a variety of colored eggs. Easter Eggers? Olive Eggers? Black Copper Marans? I’m open to suggestions about the most kid-friendly chickens who lay the prettiest eggs.

I currently homeschool and I enjoy crocheting and reading in my (very little😴) spare time. I’ve downloaded a pattern to crochet one of those “egg collecting aprons” but I haven’t gotten started on it yet.

I found BYC while doing a google search for my local chicken laws. I’m in Cecil County Maryland, if anyone has any advice for me! I have family members with chickens here, one of my neighbors has chickens, I don’t think it’s a problem but I’d like to be very clear on the laws before we even build the coop(which my husband is going to start working on soon! 🙂)
:welcome :welcome :welcome

Welcome!

Although I've chosen breeds purely based on egg color -- and I get a real Easter basket array -- my friendliest hens are a Speckled Sussex (who would like to be involved in any yard, coop or garden project I've undertaken) and a Prairie Bluebell Egger (who was raised as a lone chick and despite my best intentions, still spends her nights in a dog crate in the house).

I think friendliness often depends on how and when the birds were handled as they grew up, although some of mine, who were brooded in the house before moving outside, really have no excuse for not wanting to be picked up and carried around.

Salmon Faverolles are fluffy, pleasant hens that your kids might like, and -- depending on your kids' ages -- Cochin Bantams are funny, adorable little birds.

Good luck with the chicken laws and your crocheting project!

Back
Top Bottom