New Here to Nifty Reno, NV

Welcome :welcome I have several breeds, all have done well in cold and hot weather with proper housing in winter and and lots of shade and ventilation in summer. Review some info on the various breeds, coops - check the learning center. Make sure you know if and how many chickens are legal in your area, also if roosters are allowed. Rules vary widely. Check out your state thread, ask questions :)

-byc-backyard.png

hithere.gif
I prefer a variety of dual-purpose breeds that lay a variety of egg colors. I haven't settled on a favorite breed yet, but both my easter eggers (not pictured) happen to be the friendliest in my flock. Like others have mentioned, ease yourself into chicken keeping with a group of girls for at least the first year. Then you can either add an experienced adult rooster, or more straight run chicks and choose the best cockerel of the bunch to lead your flock. Your future-older hens will be more effective in teaching a young cockerel some mating manners, and you may not run into the common problems when hormonal cockerels get too aggressive for young pullets to handle.

View attachment 1936034

I prefer a mix of different breeds from the lightest to the heaviest. I currently have bantam polish, black jersey giants, red sex links, Delaware, and barred rock. My favorite breed out of them all is the Jersey giant, but mine are both roosters. A rooster is not needed unless you want fertile eggs to hatch offspring. Roosters can be great for a flock, but not all roosters are the same. Some use them to warn the flock of predators, but not all roosters do this. Having a rooster is all based of someone's preference and what they want for their flock in the future.

I understand to buy chicks are usually around February of each year and October? There's an egg hatchery here in Sparks, NV and the date is February 23rd 2020 to purchase chicks. What would I be looking for in regards to healthy chicks?
I love the fact that you have a mix of different breeds. Would it make more sense to have med-heavy birds for year round mainly for eggs productions?
I just may have to get me a rooster!!
Have an awesome chick-day!!

I understand to buy chicks are usually around February of each year and October? There's an egg hatchery here in Sparks, NV and the date is February 23rd 2020 to purchase chicks. What would I be looking for in regards to healthy chicks?
I love the fact that you have a mix of different breeds. Would it make more sense to have med-heavy birds for year round mainly for eggs productions?
I just look to make sure they're lively, I never pick the one that's in the corner by itself. I'd read up on the hatchery to see what others experiences are. Make sure to have all the supplies to have healthy chicks. Many people have nutri drench, chick grit, and chick starter feed on hand. There are many different ways to keep them warm like a brooder plate, heat lamp, or a heating pad.

You can learn so much on BYC especially about chicks. Feel free to ask anyone anything because we are all here to help everyone with their flocks.

You probably won't have to go out of your way to get a rooster...they tend to show up even when you are buying supposedly pullets. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom