New here. We rescue poultry/fowl and this is just breaking my heart..

Yes I will definitely take more detailed photos tomorrow. She limps quite a bit.
Poor girlie, I wonder about old chronic bumblefoot that just got worse and worse and worse. Maybe not but it’s an idea. If it is bumblefoot it’s going to be a tough to fight an infection that set in

Are you putting oil or vaseline on her legs and feet after each soak? Ivermectin 5 mg per ml pour on can be given 0.1 mg for every 2 pounds of weight once and in 14 days on the back on her neck on the skin for mite. Is she able to walk very well? Please let us know know how she is getting along, and glad that you rescued her.

Hello all. I am new to this forum and so very thankful someone recommended it to me.
We run a non-profit rescue and picked up this silver lace hen yesterday. My heart is hurting for her ao badly!
I did a mite soak, but...any more suggestions?
I can't imagine this is comfortable.
Other than her feet, she has a good body weight, clean fully feathered, bright clear eyes, not nasal discharge and no chest rattle.
But her feet...omg💔
*we dis not put her down in the pen as we saw her feet before that happened. she is quarantined and eating/drinking like a champ*
View attachment 3644681

I have a hen that had an injured foot when she was a chick. She lost several toes, but she ate and drank ok. Her foot still looks bad, but she is healthy otherwise. If your hen can get around she will probably survive. I used blue cote on mine so the other birds didn't pick on her. And she wore a boot that I made for awhile.

Hello all. I am new to this forum and so very thankful someone recommended it to me.
We run a non-profit rescue and picked up this silver lace hen yesterday. My heart is hurting for her ao badly!
Other than her feet, she has a good body weight, clean fully feathered, bright clear eyes, not nasal discharge and no chest rattle.
But her feet...omg💔
*we dis not put her down in the pen as we saw her feet before that happened. she is quarantined and eating/drinking like a champ*
View attachment 3644681
Thank you for saving her! Her condition looks similar to a hen I saw on another site who had severe scaly leg mites and netting wrapped around her feet for months. However, I have no idea if that’s the case with your hen.

But her feet...omg💔
View attachment 3644681
That breaks my heart. How can people be so rude and hateful towards an innocent little bird without a major defense to people.

Thanks for helping this sweet girl. As mentioned above, I think I’d also be applying something like Vaseline after the soaks as I feel it would help soften and soothe the crustiness too. I’d keep her food and water quite close together (which I’m sure you’ve done anyway in isolation) so she doesn’t have to walk around whilst her feet are in such a mess.

Back
Top Bottom