New here with a stray chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DaniMac79, Nov 5, 2015.

1. DaniMac79

DaniMac79 New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    Hi all! About 2 months ago a chicken (white & orange) showed up in my yard. I live in the city, btw. It goes back & forth between my yard & the neighbor across the street. The jokes write themselves. It seems to "live" in the wooded side of her property. We have no idea where it came from & frankly don't care cause we enjoy having her around. My kids have named her even. My concern though is that shes no longer hiding. Shes out all the time. Its not legal to have chickens in our city. Even though its not mine, I'm certain its only a matter of time before the city gets wind of it. Combine that with the fact that we have no idea how to care for this bird through the winter & I have a feeling I should report her whereabouts to someone. Who should I call? I don't want to see her trapped & disposed of. I have no idea how to proceed. Thank y'all so much!

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    You could post a add on Craigslist for a good home for her.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Oh boy I bet the jokes write themselves too :gig Is there a shelter or something similar near to that you could contact. I think it really depends where you are as to what would happen to her if she were caught. You could drop by your state thread for other members in your area who could help you. State threads can be found here ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Good luck, I hope she can be caught and saved :fl

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You've been given some good suggestions by the other members. You could also call your local animal control unit or shelter if you have a "no kill" shelter in your area. They could pick it up and might be able to find a good home for it. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

The members above have given you great advice. I sure hope you can save her!

6. animalgrl

animalgrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2015
    I think it depends on where you live. I had a similar situation (before I got my own chickens) where a stray chicken took up residence in my backyard. I called animal control because the chicken was driving my dogs bonkers, and animal control told me they don't catch stray poultry, but that they would come pick it up if I caught it and put it in a crate.

7. DaniMac79

DaniMac79 New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    Thank you all so much! I did call our local shelter this afternoon. They advised to call animal control but that there's no guarantee that it'd be placed with someone who could care for her. I was told though that the rules were changed last year to say that residents can have chickens! Just not roosters. So now we have to decide whether or not to post an ad on Craigslist or become chicken owners, haha!

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

9. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I think you like this chicken. .build a coop give it a shot.. buy few friends for this chicken too

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Obviously it is kismet - you were meant to have this chicken and to find out you CAN have chickens where you live. You might want to buy a lottery ticket, I've heard good luck comes in 3's. Some folks even have them as pets. You might want to check out "people with house chickens," if you don't plan to get more. Head for the Learning Center to begin your chicken education. Don't worry, we're got your back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by