New here

Roosters110

Chirping
Mar 10, 2018
I am not new to chickens but am new to the site.For a minute I lost interest but gained it back quickly.
It’s been a hard winter,probably the most deaths we ever had.We had four hens die in 2017,the best ones with the best personalities,most being sexlinks so I’m just gonna assume it has something to do with an egg issue just because of their reputation.
Overall I have about 16 chickens now,two being roosters,which as of currently are in some serious competition,so glad to see them acting more themselves,escpeciially the bantam cause it’s been months since I’ve seen him show any mating interests in his girls,of course I don’t live here.Their the most interesting part about keeping them,I’ve had probably over 10 roosters most being pets.I have lots ranging from Cochins bantams,sexlinks,only black now unfortunately,Easter egg who is old on the verge of passing I think,several New Hampshire reds,Rhode island reds,a few mixes,barred rocks,some type of bantam but the name literally flew past my mind.

But other than that I had a question.One of my sexlinks is about 4 years going on five this spring and had poop practically clumped up,not like pasty butt but stuck almost in her.Took a napkin,grabbed all I could,and behold there is blood back there.Wiped at it several times with a wet towel.Didnt do too much else but lock her in a cage by her self to avoid picking at,although you would have to be daring to come for her,what could be wrong with her?
This hen is also the hen I’m having some serious trouble with as far as getting along with my rooster.My rooster and his son both didn’t like her.I can’t seem to figure out if it is the way she carries herself or what (On her best days she can act like a rooster sometimes.)She is very dominate,I’ve actually caught her wing dancing/dominating the other hens.I'm aware chickens all have their own vendettas and separate social groups and since a big equation of my flock is dead,it’s made certain birds start acting different,but my rooster has had an issue with this bird since he was like a year and half,almost three years now.Great guy but this isn’t the only bird he has an issue with,he has some issue with our Cochin bantams.Him,his name is Zeus and our golden one are learning to be fair partners but that’s only because she herself is learning how to court again because she hasn’t laid in forever because for one she is young still and ever since her glock master slash sister died she kinda was depressed.But the other hen I have not noticed show absolutely any interest in him and I almost wanna say this what ticks him off,a useless hen who doesn’t lay.Although she doesn’t lay I like her and she shows more attention in me then him.But he isn’t the only rooster,the Cochin bantam rooster has lived with his girls since day one so their kinda a pair,wonder if maybe he gets jealous?What do you guys think?

Last edited:
G’Day from down under Roosters… :frow Welcome!

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom