New here

Welcome to the flock!!!!!
:frow:frow
:wee:wee
instawelcome.jpg

Welcome to BYC!
While I do not breed americaunas, after looking at the pictures i would guess pullets. 12 weeks is about the time the pointy saddle feathers start coming in. That being said, I'm not seeing them in the pictures as of right now. So im basing my best guess on the comb. None of them have a super developed comb or are they very red. One is slightly more red, but that could be a faster maturing pullet. I know you are hoping at least one is a cockerel for breeding purposes, but right now, I see pullets. I would wait another 3-4 weeks and post another picture.

I am not sure if this is correct, but apparently a males comb will go bright red much earlier than a pullets, who's comb only goes red when she begins to lay...The pictures aren't very clear, but a male should have saddle feathers coming in around now, I can't see very well, but i think I can see some saddle feathers. Hens/pullets don't get those. Could you post clearer pictures of it's back? Males also have more undefined tails, so at this point I am saying more likely cockerel. But wait and see.

I am not sure if this is correct, but apparently a males comb will go bright red much earlier than a pullets, who's comb only goes red when she begins to lay...The pictures aren't very clear, but a male should have saddle feathers coming in around now, I can't see very well, but i think I can see some saddle feathers. Hens/pullets don't get those. Could you post clearer pictures of it's back? Males also have more undefined tails, so at this point I am saying more likely cockerel. But wait and see.
This bird is getting about 20 new feathers in the saddle area and hackles are getting pointy..two things Mahe sexing this bird difficult one it's an Americana two it's a lavender cuchoo so I'll just have to be patient...this bird has a definate three row pea comb both other two have a definate single row but time will surely tell..one things sure my rir rooster bothers every other bird but this one. And the seller tells me this bird is only 10 weeks old. I'll keep updating every two weeks

Keep in mind, males and females both get saddle feathers... They just differ between the sex. Females have rounded fluffy saddles while males have pointed flowy saddles.

Back
Top Bottom