New here...

hartanjel

Hatching
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Hi, I am new to the forum, I have started incubating my chickens eggs. I started them on April 30, one hatched on May 23...Does anyone know why it took so long? I stopped turning them on the 18th, I have another one peeping in its egg now. One began peeping and pipped on Saturday with the one that hatched, today I noticed it had stopped, and tried to help it out, but I think it is dead. The membrane was very dry. I don't know if the humidity is right in the incubator, (a home made styrofoam one) , heat stays about 95 on average, occasionally it had gotten a bit higher and I opened the lid enough to help the fan cool it down. The one chick that is hatched is adorable, it is in the brooder now, and comes to me when I talk to it, as I talked to it from the time I heard it peeping in its shell. It has taken a bit of water, but no feed yet, but pecks at everything, so I think when it is hungry it will do fine. The one peeping in its shell started today, but no sign of pip, so how long should I wait before I try to help this one out? I really don't want to lose another one, it has already been 26 days in the incubator.
I have raised chickens from day one and day two, I now have ten meat chickens that are five weeks old, and five goslings that are three weeks old, as well as my Rhode Island reds that are two years old. Raising them is easy! I am new to incubating, but am enjoying it right now, my hens never got broody, I waited until the one I wanted more babies from had laid a clutch of ten, but none of the hens would sit. So I made an incubator. I placed the beginning of this post on another thread and was told to make anew topic, so I am. I was told also to keep the temp about 99.5 to 101, which I had not read anywhere else, only to keep it at a minimum of 95...Humidity is my biggest problem, but the first chick did very well getting out on its own, it was an amazing site to see. Any suggestions on what i should do next would be great. As I said no sign of pip anywhere on this other egg that is now peeping at me,
smile.png
how long before it should pip? It just started peeping this morning. Thanks!

I think your temp. could be too low. Low temp delays egg's developement and result in late hatching.

OK, now I know!
smile.png
I will be running another batch soon I hope, and will definitely keep the temp higher. I was so worried that I would be frying the eggs! And if I can figure out how to post pics, I will! Thanks for the advice!

So lost the little one that was peeping, came home it had pipped and made a big hole but was not breathing, peeping, moving, nothing...Guess I am on a learning curve now, I don't know what else to do except to keep trying...So out of those five eggs I actually got one little baby, two dead, and two duds...Is that average, the duds I mean? And do you always lose baby chicks? I am not so sensitive to not think it happens, but this was my first time doing this. I am a bit upset at the loss...

Back
Top Bottom