new here

charnjett

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Sorry if some of my questions are repeats of previous... I am new to this fun filled world of raising poultry. I have pekin ducks plus one black duck that I have no idea what it is and many chickens. I am wondering when the best time to butcher them is? especially the pekin. I got my ducks april 1st, they are lovely and huge... are they old enough to butcher yet? or should I wait? Any advice or tips on this would be greatly appreciated, plus any advice on the whole process....oh raising and butchering poultry...
Thanks in advance...
Char

I remember there is a specific window of time in which Pekins are said to dress easier , but not what that age is .
BUT ,
welcome-byc.gif

7-8 week is best-sounds like they are ready.

I prefer to skin than to pluck.

If plucking, scald like a chicken, then hand pluck all the feathers you can off. To get the pin feathers most dip the carcass in melted paraffin wax several time (let it harden between dips) to achieve a thick layer of wax. When about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick let it harden (just a few minutes), then peel it off from the tail to the head.

The melted wax peeled off can be boiled for a few minutes (to sterilize it) and then poured through a fine screen or sieve to get the pin feathers out. It can be stored for future uses indefinitely, just bring it to a boil for 4-5 minutes before its next use. It is important to let the wax cool down to about 140 to 145 degrees F before dipping so you don't cook the skin causing it to tear.

Their unique taste is worth the extra work!

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom