New home. How long until I'll have eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LukeandAli, Jan 5, 2012.

1. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Our ladies just came to live with us and I'm wondering when I should start to expect eggs. We have 2 Barred Rocks, a Khaki Campbell Duck, an Ameracauna, an Auracana, a Jersey Giant, and a New Hampshire Red. They are all about 2.5 years old or younger. DH set up the lamp to help them out a little. Can't wait to get my egg on! [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Change in location can upset the laying process from a few days to about a month. I had two hens "recover" in two days then take a brief respite again for a week.

Your mileage may vary.

3. LukeandAli

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Five of them are in their own coop (it came with them) and they only moved a short distance (less than half an hour drive).

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Doesn't matter, it's CHANGE to them. That's the issue, change, not necessarily how "different" OR "similar" the location is to what they had before.

5. LukeandAli

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Are some breeds more likely to "recover" more quickly than others? Does age factor in at all? I'm anxious to get some eggs! [​IMG]

6. LukeandAli

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    We got one! My husband found our first egg when he got home for lunch! I'm jealous that he found it before I did! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by