New home....no chickens allowed!?

Quote:
UMMMM He was a city employee in a constable type of job.

Last edited:
Quote:
That is a real easy one. Look elsewhere.
Tussling with HOA's is a very tough fight. You normally end up with egg on your face and they with the upper hand.

Even if you win, it's a hollow victory. Like good little Nazi's everywhere, they are unrelenting. They will be on you like white on rice over little fart you let. Just let your lawn grow a little too long one week and see what I mean.

Who needs that aggravation? Forget 'em, I say. If you have the means to buy a house, then keep shopping. There are other places to move to.

Last edited:
Stay away from HOA...look elsewhere, theres bound to be a rainbow home better than the one you had your heart set on.

I had friends that had to move out of the HOA so they could have chickens. They did try to convince them to change their rules but no, they were strict and firm about it. So they had to make the decision to move elsewhere and they were glad to find other places to keep their chickens. One had a farm and got more than the required number of hens...got a barnful of chickens
lol.png

HOA... been there done that! I will never live in a place that has one ever again. The guy that ran ours was formally a condo commando and it was never ending in the stuff they complain about. You had to get approval for a swing set, fencing, color you can paint your house. Keep looking you will find a better place and you will be so much happier too.

ok silly question,never been rich or anything but uhm if you buy your home how come some HOA has so much power do u have to like sign a contract before you buy the house or something?i dont get how and why some one would live in a place that has so much power over you.Seams the more money you have the more you let society tell how to live.Is it more easy to allow others to tell you how to live or something.Sorry i know very little about HOA only what i have seen on TV.I seen on flip that house where they could only paint there house a certian color and what was even more funny the niebhore up the road came over whinning about them painting thier flip house the same yellow as them.hehe i have taught my kids to not conform to the "normal"people.And to be who they are...You know i guess some people need conformity...anyway so as to my main question how do the HOA get the power if its your home and property.....

Quote:

Code enforcement is not a paid position, he no doubt had a real job and did the code enforcement.

My DH owned a home with an HOA when I came into the picture. Around year 2 they came around, enforce, clip boards in hand, informing us the house was the wrong color paint and the back deck and windows where not up to their code nd some other stuff. My DH had to pull out all of the paperwork for the purchase of the house. He was one of the original 10 people to first buy into that subdivision. He had to show proof the house was built as is with paint colors, doors and windows - even the front stoop railing.

They really made me want to throw rocks at them and kick their clip boards into the mud.

Quote:
Some people on the HOA board did get paid. He very well could have been paid for enforcing their codes. Where we were in metro DC and there was 175 houses to keep track of - yards, car parks, kid parks etc.

Quote:
If you want the chickens, do NOT move into a HOA community. TRUST ME. I did HOA foreclosures in Florida for many years and depending on the Declaration of Covenants, the HOA can foreclose on your house for violations in cases other than failure to pay dues. The problem with that is...you still owe the mortgage but the HOA has your house....it does get more detailed and drawn out but the basics are simple...violate the rules and you get fined....do not pay the fine and correct the problem...lose your home.

Your life and home is controlled by the HOA...they will measure the height of the grass and fine you, force you to paint your house, fix your fence, use specific materials and on and on.

So caution whenever you buy within a HOA community. I would NEVER do it EVER!

Last edited:
Quote:

Code enforcement is not a paid position, he no doubt had a real job and did the code enforcement.

Some code enforcement positions are paid positions. I did foreclosures for a master HOA which had over 1000 homes in it as well as 12 neighborhood associations ...they had several paid code enforcers. It depends on your city and state.

Back
Top Bottom