New Homemade Hatcher Complete...Waiting for P.O. to Call with My Eggs

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I'm starting a new hatch this Friday. We finally finished the 48 qt cooler hatcher we were working on, after picking up the thermostat switch at the feedstore. Never could get that WH thermo to work satisfactorily; I think it's the luck of the draw when you get one of those things. Anyway, it's done now and holds temp and humidity very well. The temp variance next to the light and at the far end away from the light is about 1 degree, so if we keep the temp right next to the barrier/shield about 100-100.4, it should work out great for eggs in most every part of the bator.
We will have to use the Hovabator as well as the Fridge-a-Bator to incubate and hatch in, plus I have a one-week stagger on the eggs in one of them, so needed a third unit for hatching. I love to hatch in the Fridge-a-Bator, but now will be incubating in it for the first time and will have to tilt the eggs three times a day because a regular turner won't fit. No big deal, but different than I'm used to.
Total cost, about $22. The switch cost $16.95 and the cooler was a $5 flea market find. We already had all over components. Oh, new sponge $1. Here is the Cooler Hatcher:
DCP_9625.jpg

DCP_9624.jpg

DCP_9626.jpg

Thanks, all. This will only be hatching, not incubating. With all the unexpected extra goodies Christie and Julie sent, my cup runneth over with this hatch! Thank you ladies so, SO much! My flock will be fully rounded out when these sweet babies hatch.

How did I miss this?!?!?! I want the dish your sponge is on. Please and thank you. I have a thermostat and a cool in the barn I am considering making another hatcher out of.

Back
Top Bottom