Karissa Doty

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2017
Hi friends! I am new to this site. I'm a mom of 4 kids (Twins & a disabled 5 year old). I live in North of Northern California LOL. (Shasta County) to be specific. I bought about 10 baby chicks this last spring at TSC and our local feed store. Then I bought a few more from a friend (who I met at TSC because we shared the same excitement over those cute little feather balls). A few days later we went back and bought a couple of ducklings! We just recently started to sell eggs, but now we are playing with the idea of selling chicks! I have a couple of super cute breeds that I know are in high demand right now and you cant find in the feed stores. I have been searching for answers all morning. Does anyone know what the laws and regulations are for selling chicks/ducklings? You would think that these regulations would be easier to find.....fat chance LOL. Hope to meet many of you and hopefully, some who are local. BTW ( I also blog about parenting and our homestead here http://alilcrunchy.com/ )

I looked at my local ordinances. I list chicks on a local facebook page, and on craiglist. Make sure you let people know whether or not you vacinate. To cross state lines, it gets much more complicated. I am in Southern CA. So far, my sales are less than 20 birds a year. So, I do not need any permits or special licenses. If you are planning on making this a business, then you have far more hoops to jump through. I would start with your local ordinances. But the State has some as well. I'll try to find some of my research to send to you.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're really happy you've joined us:ya sorry I don't know your area—but let's see if we can get someone who does. @orrpeople @Jessimom @calichicken Can you help out?
I will try. First, I don't believe there are ordinances for selling poultry in Shasta Co. - that said, be so, so, so careful when you do. Always remind people to quarantine your birds, even if they're perfectly healthy at your house. And, if you purchase birds from another flock, do the same. Stay away from the Swap Meet in Anderson unless you just want to unload some unwanted roosters. There's a lot of "stuff" floating around (literally) because of our super dry, warm weather. I speak from experience. :(
A lot of good advice can be found on this website about buying and selling birds, but here's a very good article on quarantining. Best wishes!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/

Hi friends! I am new to this site. I'm a mom of 4 kids (Twins & a disabled 5 year old). I live in North of Northern California LOL. (Shasta County) to be specific. I bought about 10 baby chicks this last spring at TSC and our local feed store. Then I bought a few more from a friend (who I met at TSC because we shared the same excitement over those cute little feather balls). A few days later we went back and bought a couple of ducklings! We just recently started to sell eggs, but now we are playing with the idea of selling chicks! I have a couple of super cute breeds that I know are in high demand right now and you cant find in the feed stores. I have been searching for answers all morning. Does anyone know what the laws and regulations are for selling chicks/ducklings? You would think that these regulations would be easier to find.....fat chance LOL. Hope to meet many of you and hopefully, some who are local. BTW ( I also blog about parenting and our homestead here http://alilcrunchy.com/ )

I'm still looking for my research - I changed computers and all the files are on my older one.

I have a special needs daughter - she is 18 now. There is a thread with some of us that have special needs kids and what a benefit raising chickens is with them. Here's the link - I know it hasn't been very active lately, but we LOVE new members.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-chickens-and-special-needs-kids.935165/

Hi karissa, I thought this sounded like you, this is Heidi Ingels and I’m doing the same thing, started growing my flock of lavender and Isabel ameracauna and plan to sell the eggs, would love to chat and brainstorm 😆

Hi Karissa, I knew this was you when I read your post😂small world,this is Heidi Ingels and our family is doing the same thing, just started our flocks of lavender and Isabel ameracaunas over the winter, hatched them ourself to sell the fertilized eggs, would love to catch up and brainstorm with you😆

Back
Top Bottom