New House on the Block..... Playhouse Duplex! (LOTS of PIXS!)

azmotogirl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Mesa, AZ
OK gang.... here is the story of our expanded Playhouse Coop.....

We started out with a Playhouse we found on Craig's List..... it was great for the first 3 chicks.

56030_coop1.jpg

After I learned about chicken math here on the BYC Forum, we ended up with 2 more chicks so we needed more room. Construction started on the new addition to the coop..... follow the picture below for the whole story.....

First came the second base to raise the playhouse.....
56030_downsize.jpg

56030_base2.jpg

Then we had to do a little bit of moving things around to make room for the addition.....
56030_hardatwork.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the finished project ("Duplex") from both sides and down thru the middle of the coop. We decided we would leave the roost in the original playhouse and use the second one for the nesting boxes (and for food & water if we have a storm and need to bring them inside). My DH had build a stand for the dog crate we used when the chicks were small and we left that in the run for additional shade. He attached an umbrella for even more shade. (Living in AZ you can never have enough shade!!) The last picture is of the two youngest chicks checking out the new addition. Hope you enjoy the show!
56030_duplex1.jpg

56030_duplex.jpg

56030_inside1.jpg

56030_inside2.jpg

56030_checkitout.jpg

Last edited:
No central air..... DH would kill me if I asked to add that! Just lots of shade and misters and the far end of the run by the big green umbrella. They like to play under the mister to cool off.

big_smile.png
OMG I love it! I was just telling DH today that I remembered we used that same playhouse for our chickens a few years ago when the kids were done with it! He screwed the windows shut and took out the kitchen sink etc. and put in a roost. It was great for the few babies we had then, talk about cheap too, we got this for our kids at a garage sale for $10.

Back
Top Bottom