New in to chicks and ducks

2byc-picket-fence.png

hithere.gif
How big is your coop and the run? I would also agree that vinyl flooring works good for the coop floor if laid on top of plywood. I found a really cheap remnant at a home improvement store. If you can't afford concrete or asphalt, you might be able to find used stall mats for pretty cheap... check craigslist or call around to some local riding arenas. I wonder if you could use inexpensive concrete pavers? I made a nice patio out of 12"x12" squares that were about $1 each.

Once you get your flooring down, make sure to pile it high with bedding. I use pine shavings in my coop and covered run, some people use sand or straw... but you don't want those materials to get wet. If your run is exposed to weather, add a deep layer of chunky wood chips, they'll last a long time, probably a couple/few years.

You could also put a poop tray under the roosts and fill it with a shallow layer Sweet PDZ. You just scoop it out like cat litter and it keeps ammonia fumes away. The other bedding material in the coop can just be added to every so often and mixed in with the old, similar to deep litter method. I only change out the bedding about once a year and let it finish composting in a pile and the following year it's beautiful garden soil.

Thank you to everyone for the respones. Columbus Ohio is very specific in their requirements. Roosters, turkeys, peacocks and geese are specifically not permitted. The actual size of the coop and run are limited and the fowl is permitted free run four hours per day and the owner is required to be at home with them when out free run. So I intend to follow the code...what do you think I should use for the run? Treated wood is permitted, but I think it has to be on a level to not contact ground. Tje other items can touch the ground. Also, any material in the coop or run and poop is not permitted for mulch areas. They have to be sent sealed in city trash container, you can use them as mulch during the winter only. In addition you cannot empty a duck pond directly onto the ground. You have to pour it in ability that it goes below the frost level. I do have a few projects to work on for my city permit. Any suggestions are thrilled.
ok whoa, I missed this part.
You cannot compost the bedding? You can't use it for your garden beds?
I have never heard this before, I don't know if I'm understanding. That sounds really strict!

View attachment 1693238
View attachment 1693239 How big is your coop and the run? I would also agree that vinyl flooring works good for the coop floor if laid on top of plywood. I found a really cheap remnant at a home improvement store. If you can't afford concrete or asphalt, you might be able to find used stall mats for pretty cheap... check craigslist or call around to some local riding arenas. I wonder if you could use inexpensive concrete pavers? I made a nice patio out of 12"x12" squares that were about $1 each.

Once you get your flooring down, make sure to pile it high with bedding. I use pine shavings in my coop and covered run, some people use sand or straw... but you don't want those materials to get wet. If your run is exposed to weather, add a deep layer of chunky wood chips, they'll last a long time, probably a couple/few years.

You could also put a poop tray under the roosts and fill it with a shallow layer Sweet PDZ. You just scoop it out like cat litter and it keeps ammonia fumes away. The other bedding material in the coop can just be added to every so often and mixed in with the old, similar to deep litter method. I only change out the bedding about once a year and let it finish composting in a pile and the following year it's beautiful garden soil.

The coop has a poop tray under the roost area.That was easy . The floor of the coop is plywood covered with horse stall mat. The issue now is the run area 64 sq ft limited and requires covered with stall mat, concrete, asphalt , pavers or treated wood . Trying to figure out least cost and best practices.

The coop has a poop tray under the roost area.That was easy . The floor of the coop is plywood covered with horse stall mat. The issue now is the run area 64 sq ft limited and requires covered with stall mat, concrete, asphalt , pavers or treated wood . Trying to figure out least cost and best practices.
The people who came up with these requirements clearly know nothing at all about raising poultry nor micro-biology. They are forcing people to keep chickens in a very labor intensive situation in order to prevent dropping contact with the ground.
Do they also forbid the purchase of milorganite, cow manure and other biological waste fertilizers??

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
2019-02-09_16-09-54-jpg.1671012
then click on the following URL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/
Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button
2019-02-09_16-13-22-jpg.1671016

Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
2019-02-09_16-14-09-jpg.1671019

That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

:welcome

Those are some stringent rules but complying with them will help ensure you don't lose your flock or get fined. Hope you can figure out a way to work with the rules that won't be too labor intensive.

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom