New Jersey

Is anyone having problems with there chickens because of the heat? Mine are getting heat exhaustion. They have symptoms of having a cold. And their poop is foamy and a yelowish color.

I've been ok so far. They are panting though. I change the water out mid day to give them cold water again and spritz them with the most setting on the hose. Two more days of this.

What kind of ducks do you have?
I guess your chickens don't mind sharing their coop! LOL!!

I have 3 cayugas, 4 magpies and 1 blue swedish. They are 3 months old. I feed them all flock because its easiest. The ducks stay together and only pick occasioally at the smaller chicks. The other chickens could care less about them.

Thanks.....I do have them on non-medicated chick starter. They are really messy. I have been using paper towels to line the bottom of the crate....Been using about a roll a day ,as I do change them often.....what else would I be able to use to line the crate with.
I have no clue about raising ducks.....they came into my life unexpectedly... at least before I got the chickens I had read a lot about what to do with them and I already had the coop being built.
If we do decide to keep them, how much room do they need? For a pen, for their house and for just plain walking around?
well u can start using shavings and since it warm enough outside you can put them in a potable dog run during the day to try and cut down on the use of paper towels just make sure they cant get through the bars and the just need a pen similar to your chickens as for my ducks i have 2 large pens with 5 in one and three in the other and i have 3 others that free range on my 4 fenced in acres and they all come back into my horse barn at night to go in different stales

Is anyone having problems with there chickens because of the heat? Mine are getting heat exhaustion. They have symptoms of having a cold. And their poop is foamy and a yelowish color.
Since it's been so hot I have been feeding them frozen watermelon and cantaloupes....their poop seems to be more on the watery side, but I am assuming that's from the higher water content food that they are eating. I think today is suppose to be the hottest.
sad.png
I also have been freezing water in dog bowls at night and putting them out for them in the morning, this way as the ice is melting the water is cold.

Since it's been so hot I have been feeding them frozen watermelon and cantaloupes....their poop seems to be more on the watery side, but I am assuming that's from the higher water content food that they are eating. I think today is suppose to be the hottest.
sad.png
I also have been freezing water in dog bowls at night and putting them out for them in the morning, this way as the ice is melting the water is cold.
I will have to try the frozen water added to their water bowls. Maybe this will help too. Thanks

I've been ok so far. They are panting though. I change the water out mid day to give them cold water again and spritz them with the most setting on the hose. Two more days of this.

I got so worried I called a vet to come in. Even had one of the worst ones put down to do a necropsy. Had cultures done and fecal exams. Everything pointed to heat exhaustion. Glad it wasn't something else contagious, but I just feel awful for them. Trying every suggestion and bit of advice I can get. I even resorted to bringing a couple of the worst into the air conditioned house.

I got so worried I called a vet to come in. Even had one of the worst ones put down to do a necropsy. Had cultures done and fecal exams. Everything pointed to heat exhaustion. Glad it wasn't something else contagious, but I just feel awful for them. Trying every suggestion and bit of advice I can get. I even resorted to bringing a couple of the worst into the air conditioned house.

Yikes. Put down - that's so sad
sad.png

Aids I've employed in the past, thankfully never lost anyone:

Fans - lots of fans to keep the air moving and cool them down
AC (in these kinds of temps I always kept them locked in a cool place till the worst was over - before I had AC for them I put them in a room in the basement with all their creature comforts till the insane temps were over. Heat index over 100 just far too dangerous for them to be exposed to, especially the long term exposures that places like NJ have had for umpteen days now.)
Cold water available at all times (can put frozen water bottle in large container of water and it will stay cold)
Lots and lots of shade
Icy fruits, including frozen watermelon
No heavy food in the heat of the day
Gently running hose that created puddles, places for them to walk through to cool their tootsies and thus their whole body (this uses up some water but I didn't want to lose anyone if at all possible)
JJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom