New Jersey

I do have a bunch of chicks - unfortunately my chicks came home with mites from the poultry show, so I am treating them now...
he.gif

I guess this means I won't be getting any chickens until I move to another county. Someone owns chickens and a rooster in the next block over and their yard is the same size. I guess they just went ahead and got them or didn't check the ordinance. What a disappointment. I was really hoping to share this experience with my children. :(

I'm not sure if I am posting this correctly. I live in Vineland, NJ and am a new chicken owner. Last year my husband and I talked about getting chickens, well that was enough for the kids and that's all they talked about. Well one of my daughters decided we were taking too long and took it upon herself to drive to Jackson and get everyone a chick for Easter and now have 9. For the past 2 months we have been proud chicken owners - but we have done sooo much work and researched so much.

We have 2 Silkies, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Leghorn and 2 that I'm not quite sure of. One looks like either a Barred Rock or Plymouth Rock. The other one is black with a bluish tinty to the feathers - we are clueless as to what this one might be.

I am attaching pictures of the chicks - all hens.

Would someone please let me know if they have any idea what breed the other 2 chicks are?

Also, any advise or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!!! These chicks are now part of our family!!

Thank you!!

I'm not sure if I am posting this correctly. I live in Vineland, NJ and am a new chicken owner. Last year my husband and I talked about getting chickens, well that was enough for the kids and that's all they talked about. Well one of my daughters decided we were taking too long and took it upon herself to drive to Jackson and get everyone a chick for Easter and now have 9. For the past 2 months we have been proud chicken owners - but we have done sooo much work and researched so much. We have 2 Silkies, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Leghorn and 2 that I'm not quite sure of. One looks like either a Barred Rock or Plymouth Rock. The other one is black with a bluish tinty to the feathers - we are clueless as to what this one might be. I am attaching pictures of the chicks - all hens. Would someone please let me know if they have any idea what breed the other 2 chicks are? Also, any advise or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!!! These chicks are now part of our family!! Thank you!!
The black speckled one looks like it might be a cuckoo Marans. If so it will lay a large dark brown egg.

I agree. Cuckoo marans and Black Australorp. And by the way, Barred and Plymouth rock are the same thing. Plymouth Rock is the name of the breed, and barred is the name of the color. Welcome! :)

Hey guys!! How is everyone dealing with this heat?YUCK!! I took some water melon and slightly froze it and gave it to the ladies & Mikey this afternoon they really seemed to LOVE it.
We have decided to keep our Roo for now. Our code guy informed us that there is actually no ruling against keeping a rooster. It just depends on how tolerant the neighbors are. Mikey ust started crowing this week, it is very cute....for now!! If it becomes an issue we have a new home lined up.

Hello everyone. Monmouth County here. I have 6 chickens that are approx 7 weeks old and I have 7 newer chicks that are about 1 week old.
This is my second flock. I put the older news out in the pen and coop as of Sunday. They do not like the coop at night. I forced them in, but tonight I just. Let them do what they wanted and they are outside the coop in the pen. Do you think eventually they will get the idea on their own? Has anyone ever had chickens that just refuse to go in the coop ever?

Back
Top Bottom