New Jersey

Lorraine you'll have to wait till they are close in size to put them together. Especially mixing in a small space would be trouble. I've mixed groups that where anywhere between two weeks to eight weeks in age difference but they had room to get away from one another and where close in size. Once you think your ready you can put the smaller ones in a dog crate in with the bigger. There is many ways to go about it. I usually put them in at night then let them out early in the morning and give them plenty of busy stuff during the day (cabbage, scratch, straw)

Thank you NJchixs! How long do I give them to get used to each other? Again I have read so many different things. One day? One week?

I introduced my chicks to my adults when they were about 8 weeks old, I've been told that's a good time to do it. I put a wire cage in my big coop, and put the chicks in there for several days. Then I opened the door to the cage so the chicks could come out and mingle if they wanted. After a few days of that, I was able to take the cage out. The chicks are still intimidated by the adults, they don't free range with them as a group - they stick together - but they have not been injured and are doing just fine.

I'm sure the exact time will vary - I saw that my adults weren't paying any attention to the little ones, so I felt comfortable opening the cage door after just a few days and I stick around for a while to be sure no one would be hurt. With more aggressive adults it may take longer but my adults are pretty easygoing.

Thank you Kahlua - this is very helpful. I'm sorry to continue with the questions but when you say you put a wire cage in with the adults, did they sleep in the cage? Did you bring them back in the house at night?

Thank you Kahlua - this is very helpful. I'm sorry to continue with the questions but when you say you put a wire cage in with the adults, did they sleep in the cage? Did you bring them back in the house at night?
When I introduce new birds, I keep the new ones inside the wire cage inside the coop for up to two weeks to allow the rest to get used to them. I have some 7-week-olds in a cage in the coop right now. They'll probably stay there the full two weeks so they can grow a bit while everyone acclimates. Then I usually let the new ones out during the day, but they sleep in the cage at night a bit longer. If everyone seems ok, then I take the cage away. It can be a pain having to refill the separate food and water dishes, but I have found this method greatly reduces the fighting when they are finally let out with the rest. (REDUCES - not eliminates! There will still be some squabbling, but it's so anti-climactic at that point, it's like they are doing it for show. Still, just keep an eye out in case someone can't get over themselves.)

I had a wonderful day today because I got something on my "to do" list done that has taken quite a long time to do! My DH and I cleaned out the back room of a shed and converted it into my "quail room" (quailery???). Now I don't have to keep them in the back of our kennel building!
Makes me want to hatch more!!!
wink.png

I had a wonderful day today because I got something on my "to do" list done that has taken quite a long time to do! My DH and I cleaned out the back room of a shed and converted it into my "quail room" (quailery???). Now I don't have to keep them in the back of our kennel building!
Makes me want to hatch more!!! ;)  

Oh no you have hatchitis also, lol. Very nice. Feels good to get things done on the list doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom