New Jersey

I have a question/s. I have a flock of 18 week old hens (or so I thought until our silkie started crowing about a week ago). In my flock there are 2 silkies - one is a bantam, a leghorn, an easter egger, a cuckoo maran, a buff orpington, 2 rhode island reds and a black australorp. I'm pretty sure the rest are still hens. The black australorp, rules the roost - what she says goes. Both silkies were always at the bottom of the pecking order. I don't know if I should be concerned but my silkie rooster is now pecking at the hens. They fight back most of the time but then there are times he can latch on and take out feathers. He still gets bullied but gets into his moods. Should I be concerned? Is this how they mate - or try to? I read that you shouldn't get involved when there are "disputes" among chickens but when do you step in? He latched onto one of the RIR's by the neck and wouldn't let go - no blood drawn. I had to grab him and then put him in time out. Later I let him out and he was fine. My husband is not happy but I told him it's probably harmless behavior. I'm hoping I'm right. I see too many roosters being given away because of their behavior and I want to do everything I can to keep mine.

The odd part is I have 6 chicks ranging in age from 4-7 weeks and, when I had them in the yard together, he was the only one that was nice to them. The hens pecked at them.

What to do, what to do???

I have a question/s.  I have a flock of 18 week old hens (or so I thought until our silkie started crowing about a week ago).  In my flock there are 2 silkies - one is a bantam, a leghorn, an easter egger, a cuckoo maran, a buff orpington, 2 rhode island reds and a black australorp.   I'm pretty sure the rest are still hens.  The black australorp, rules the roost - what she says goes.  Both silkies were always at the bottom of the pecking order.   I don't know if I should be concerned but my silkie rooster is now pecking at the hens.  They fight back most of the time but then there are times he can latch on and take out feathers.   He still gets bullied but gets into his moods.  Should I be concerned?  Is this how they mate - or try to?  I read that you shouldn't get involved when there are "disputes" among chickens but when do you step in?  He latched onto one of the RIR's by the neck and wouldn't let go - no blood drawn.   I had to grab him and then put him in time out.  Later I let him out and he was fine.  My husband is not happy but I told him it's probably harmless behavior.  I'm hoping I'm right.  I see too many roosters being given away because of their behavior and I want to do everything I can to keep mine. 

The odd part is I have 6 chicks ranging in age from 4-7 weeks and, when I had them in the yard together, he was the only one that was nice to them.  The hens pecked at them.

What to do, what to do???

The grabbing at the neck is normal. He's trying to mate with them. Sometimes they are nice, sometimes not. The hens will let him know when they are ready. They are a ltttle too young still before they let him. Give it time. My kids don't know what they're doing, they call it "chicken wrestling". Lol.

The grabbing at the neck is normal. He's trying to mate with them. Sometimes they are nice, sometimes not. The hens will let him know when they are ready. They are a ltttle too young still before they let him. Give it time. My kids don't know what they're doing, they call it "chicken wrestling". Lol.
Thank you soooo much! I'm a bit relieved. It just looks so violent.

My kids don't know what they're doing, they call it "chicken wrestling". Lol.
Chicken wrestling! lol love it!
lau.gif

Yeah for the cool temps today
wee.gif
Everybody seems happier for the reprieve in temperatures today.... from the furry ones ,the feathery ones, the scaley ones and us humans too!!.

Hey! I'm new here. Just moved from Monmouth County to Hunterdon County. We recently purchased our first birds. Unfortunately, hubby didn't listen, and let the birds into the run from the coop so we have to retrain them! Now they're in the coop for another couple of days. Is this the right procedure?
Feel free to correct my terminology! I'd actually appreciate it!

Hey! I'm new here. Just moved from Monmouth County to Hunterdon County. We recently purchased our first birds. Unfortunately, hubby didn't listen, and let the birds into the run from the coop so we have to retrain them! Now they're in the coop for another couple of days. Is this the right procedure?
Feel free to correct my terminology! I'd actually appreciate it!

What are you training them for, to return to the coop after free ranging? If so, then yes keep them in the coop and run for a couple days so they learn where they need to return to at night. They should do that at sunset on their own. Now if its older girls who are already laying, you want to keep them in the coop & run till you think they are all using the nest boxes. Then you can let them out to free range.

Back
Top Bottom