New Jersey

Vent sexing is very tricky, and very few people can do it reliably.  Don't count on a vet, either - it's hard enough to find one who will even look at chickens, let alone know enough to do vent sexing.  This is not something they teach in vet school.  You're just going to have to wait.

Unless you are crazy like me and bug all your avian professors to teach you how. Except, it's pretty much like ultrasound, and still very much eludes me!

Your best bet is to just sell them straight run. I find more people are willing to buy straight run when there is a chance they are hens. Also, there is a livestock auction in Hackettstown you could sell them at. Let me know if you want more info on that.

Last edited:
Unless you are crazy like me and bug all your avian professors to teach you how. Except, it's pretty much like ultrasound, and still very much eludes me!

Yeah except im not hatching them yo sell im hatching them to keep.

Your best bet is to just sell them straight run. I find more people are willing to buy straight run when there is a chance they are hens. Also, there is a livestock auction in Hackettstown you could sell them at. Let me know if you want more info on that.

Yeah except im not hatching them to sell I'm hatching them to keep & can't keep rooster in my town so need to know asap which are which

Are any of "your avian professors who were trying to teach you" local? Can they sex them for me?
Im only about 1/2 hr from Hacketstown.

Somehow this got mixed in with my last response & post. Not sure if you would see it....
Are any of "your avian professors who were trying to teach you" local? Can they sex them for me?
Im only about 1/2 hr from Hacketstown.

I live in upstate New York, so it is quite a hike and honestly vent sexing is not at all accurate. You'd have probably about the same accuracy as putting them in a bin and picking out half and saying those were roosters. You are going to just have to wait until they are a few weeks old to see. Roosters don't start crowing until later and you can always just bring the roos to the auction later. Next time if you are going to hatch and want to separate early, you should look into a sex-link breed!

I live in upstate New York, so it is quite a hike and honestly vent sexing is not at all accurate. You'd have probably about the same accuracy as putting them in a bin and picking out half and saying those were roosters. You are going to just have to wait until they are a few weeks old to see. Roosters don't start crowing until later and you can always just bring the roos to the auction later. Next time if you are going to hatch and want to separate early, you should look into a sex-link breed!

Or, wait and buy older pullets. That's what I do.

(Was hoping you'd see that post, Lauren!)
wink.png

Or, wait and buy older pullets.  That's what I do.

(Was hoping you'd see that post, Lauren!)  ;)

Yep older pullets work too! But I'm a sucker for the fuzzy butts, and usually have great success selling them at the auction (actually, the last few I brought I was mobbed by people before even entering them in the auction and pre-sold!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom