New Jersey

Hi everyone, I have a lovely speckled sussex with bumblefoot on both feet. We treated one foot but not terribly successfully and I simply don't have the stomach for the cutting/digging part again. We soak and rebandage the feet and can manage that part of the treatment but I'm not willing to do the cutting. I've been to Maple Shade Vet clinic previously for other reasons but they really don't treat chickens even though they are avian vets. Does anyone have a vet in the area that they KNOW treats chickens? (My terrific dog vet won't see my hens and couldn't refer us!)

Any help would really be appreciated. I'm willing to travel a bit -but not too far.
Thanks!

Hi everyone, I have a lovely speckled sussex with bumblefoot on both feet. We treated one foot but not terribly successfully and I simply don't have the stomach for the cutting/digging part again. We soak and rebandage the feet and can manage that part of the treatment but I'm not willing to do the cutting. I've been to Maple Shade Vet clinic previously for other reasons but they really don't treat chickens even though they are avian vets. Does anyone have a vet in the area that they KNOW treats chickens? (My terrific dog vet won't see my hens and couldn't refer us!)

Any help would really be appreciated. I'm willing to travel a bit -but not too far.
Thanks!

I had very little cutting with my hen's bumblefoot. I took a needlenosed tweezers and gently circled around the scab, squeezing as I went. After a few circles, the plug loosened and just popped out. I had three scabs between the two feet, and they all went like that. I soaked her feet for at least ten minutes beforehand. Did you use the tutorials from The Chicken Chick? That's the only adjustment I made to her instructions, since I didn't have a proper scalpel.

The only vet I know that treats chickens is Dr. Doolan, at NorthStar in Robbinsville.

I found a vet near me (called around and found two in the area that treat bumblefoot). We cut because the spot was huge and yes followed Chicken Chick's video tutorial. I suspect using needlenose pliers could have helped though we did have tweezers. It was just no fun at all. She is molting now so it is even worse when we soak her feet. Feathers everywhere. It would be funny if it weren't so upsetting. The hen is fine - no limping or signs of infection but this needs to be managed. I'll watch the vet to see if they have better ways to do this for future reference.

Thanks for the help though. Maybe I'm just too wussy?

I found a vet near me (called around and found two in the area that treat bumblefoot). We cut because the spot was huge and yes followed Chicken Chick's video tutorial. I suspect using needlenose pliers could have helped though we did have tweezers. It was just no fun at all. She is molting now so it is even worse when we soak her feet. Feathers everywhere. It would be funny if it weren't so upsetting. The hen is fine - no limping or signs of infection but this needs to be managed. I'll watch the vet to see if they have better ways to do this for future reference.

Thanks for the help though. Maybe I'm just too wussy?

It takes time and experience to grow out of "wussy." the next time it happens, it won't be so bad. Never thought I could give injections or treat other ailments, but now I can do it without blinking. I still have to conquer my inability to put down a sick or injured bird, though - that's next for me.

hey im new to the forum and the NJ area, just relocated to Warren County (Blairstown) from TN...

the local TSC here is interested in hosting a Farmers flea/chickenswap/craft fair once mabe twice a month here in town...anyone in this area be interested?

Welcome to Blairstown Buckleberry Farm! I'm from Hope which is the next town over but I'm currently studying in Upstate NY.

The people at the tractor supply are super nice. The 4h club I lead often did events with them. I think a swap/sale would be a fun thing to do!

hey im new to the forum and the NJ area, just relocated to Warren County (Blairstown) from TN...

the local TSC here is interested in hosting a Farmers flea/chickenswap/craft fair once mabe twice a month here in town...anyone in this area be interested?

I know some of the other NJ posters were talking about. Trying to do something like that. Give them a few days to check in I'm sure some will be interested.

I am cutting back on birds to focus on some of my other breeds, so i have a pair of Show Quality Black Cayuga ducks for sale, one pair of silver duckwing old English game bantams and a trio of naked neck bantams. I have a Largefowl Salmon Faverolles Pullet and Black sumatra bantam hen for sale too, but i have someone interested if it doesn't work out then they will be for sale too.

Back
Top Bottom